Constant problem with Shopify Payments and Visa/Mastercard Debit

Highlighted
2 0 1

I'm so incredibly frustrated by Shopify's lack of concern. I lose sales every week because some of my customers are unable to place their orders with visa or mastercard debit cards.

Every Shopifu "Guru" I have spoken to has a different answer - mostly they blame the customer. One blamed Stripe. It happens far too often for it to be a lack of funds. I get phone calls and emails weekly.

Here's one from today:

Body: Good Evening.
I tried several times to purchase Wee Squeaks from the website but it kept telling me that my credit card was not a credit card number. I gave it 3 tries before moving on to the Squeaker Sneakers website where my order processed correctly wit the same Visa bank card. Please let me know when the site is fixed as I have another little one I will by for.

Thank you,
Christie

Since none of the "Gurus" are willing to take ownership of this problem and find an explanation

- or better yet, a solution, I'd like to hear from anyone else that may have this issue. Is there a solution?

I'd prefer to stay with Shopify Payments, but I can't keep losing sales to the competetion. Shocking to me that Shopify is not willing to address this and make it right.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
7 0 2

Hi there!

My name is Dakota and I am Guru here at Shopify. 

Sorry there has been some confusion coming from us in regards to regards to Visa, MC debits.  

These cards should be working, and if they are not it is likely coming from the details the customer has entered or their card. So I have provided some troubleshooting steps for your customers to follow if they experience this issue going forward :)

1. Is the billing address they're entering the same as the mailing address on their bank account? 
    To be sure, have them check with their bank or through their online banking.

2. Have they activated their Visa Debit? 
    Some banks require them to call in and activate the Visa Debit, some do not.
    For example: RBC Visa Debits DO NEED TO BE ACTIVATED PRIOR TO USING THEM. They can call their bank if they're not sure if it's active or if it needs to be activated.

3. VERY IMPORTANT! Have they registered their card with Verified by Visa?
    With companies with a lot of security, this is crucial and it's always worth a shot. 
    Here's how they do it: (this is for Canadian financial institutions only)

1. Go to: www.visa.ca and chose their language.
    2. Get them to click on "Personal" on the left hand side. 
    3. Select "Visa Debit" on the left hand side. 
    4. Click on "Layers of Security" on the centre. 
    5. Click "Verified by Visa" on the left and then "Register Now". 
    6. Follow the instructions. 

I hope this helps and clarifies the issue at hand!

Cheers!

Dakota, Shopify Guru
[Call, Chat or Email us 24/7!](https://docs.shopify.com/support)

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

No, the problem is with US debit cards. Clearly the card works, as she was able to use the very same card on our competitor's website. 

This is a real problem . I'm so tired of getting the same answers from Shopify. One "guru" did let let it slip that many people are having this problem and that it is because Shopify is not integrated with Interac.

I wish Shopify would acknowledge the problem and decide if they're going to look after it. If not, I'll move my account. I would prefer to keep it with Shopify because I don't want to pay transaction fees and it makes my accounting easier. It seems unreasonable that you would charge a transaction fee when in fact you are not able to provide a full service payment solution.

Please esclate this.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

I would also like to find an answer to this problem. I too am receiving emails from customers saying they have entered their card details only to find that the payment was declined:

"For some reason it kept saying the card number was invalid. Triple checked it but didn’t seem to work."

I find this unacceptable as every sale counts, and I find that although quite a few potential customers make it to checkout, many don't complete the transaction. As I have free postage I was wondering what that could be, so I started emailing these people to see what the problem was. More often than not, the card not being processed is the issue. 

But it's not every customer.

Please figure this out.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

Hi Susan, I appreciate this is an old thread, but I wondered if you got to the bottom of this? We too are experiencing lots of customers getting 'card-declined - do_not_honor' codes, which is super generic and doesn't give us anything. Shopify is terrible when trying to find out what went wrong, and in the meantime, we are losing valuable sales.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1292 83 290

Hey, @Gavin5511!

I've followed up on your similar question on this forum post here. I've shipped you an email to get this looked into.

Chat soon!

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
1 0 0

We've been market research on our products for almost a year and were ready to build the site and start sells.  One developer wants to use Shopify for our site and I've been doing research and this appears to be a major problem.  Were tempted to not start a site here because of this.  Any feed back Shopify before we go else where?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1292 83 290

Hi, @kco80218

The issue that Gavin is experiencing is directly connected to Stripe, and not specifically with Shopify Payments. This thread is a few years old, which, I can understand why it can add some concern, however; from my recent experience, these type of issues are few and far between and most commonly fall to customer error. 

Nevertheless, if you intend to use Shopify Payments, and you do experience this issue, then our support teams will be available to you 24/7 to help get this looked into to ensure there are no issues on our end that could be the cause to your customer being unable to place an order through your online store. 

Let me know if you have any questions. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0
Actually, I’m not using stripe directly, I am getting these errors using Shopify Payments too (which I believe is still Stripe in the backend anyway), but I’m definitely not using stripe directly.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1292 83 290

@Gavin5511 

My apologies! I made a guess based on the previous thread I followed up on with you. I did ship you off an email, so if you're still facing issues with this, then feel free to follow up there so we can get this reviewed. 

Chat soon!

0 Likes