Constant problem with Shopify Payments and Visa/Mastercard Debit

Highlighted
1 0 1

Dear Shopify staff, 

We've been having the same problem with customers not being able to pay with Visa. In shopify if we go to orders>abandoned checkouts>History we constantly see the message 'Unable to authorize $**.** USD on the Visa ending in ****.' for all customers that have tried to pay.

Thus, we tried to order a product using our own Visa card on our webshop. After filling in the details several times we came to the conclusion that it is not on the customers end. We are sure that our details are correct and the bank allows payments like these. The message we got (and so did our customers probably) is 'Your payment details couldn't be verified. Check your card details and try again.'

Please shopify fix this issue, we are all losing sales because of this problem!

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1426 87 315

@Jdb 

I'm sorry to hear your store is having issues with processing Visa payments. I'll need to verify the account so I can investigate further. If you could reply to the email I have sent you, then I can get the ball rolling on sourcing a solution. 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello! 

I've been having this problem with many clients. Our store is a mexican store and we've been having issues with clients trying to pay with either visa or mastercard credit cards, the system will deny them so it costs us lots of abandoned checkouts. How could this problem be solved? 

Best regards!

Renata 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1426 87 315

@renavz 

The issue being discussed here would be connected to Shopify Payments; however, Shopify Payments is not available in Mexico. If you are seeing an issue where customers are being rejected at checkout then it would be best to reach out to the payment provider you're using. They will be able to help troubleshoot this further to ensure payments are being processed accordingly. 

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

@Peter 

Hey, I'm also having this issue and it seems like the payments I'm receiving that are getting this issue is surely from, Mexico. So, when you say reach out to my payment providers do you mean reach out to my bank? Or should I be reaching out to Shopify Payments? How can I get this resolved and make it so that I can accept payments from Mexico and other places out there that shopify payments have issues with? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1426 87 315

@HDeng 

If you're getting reports from your customers that they are unable to checkout, then you would want to collect further information from them on the exact error message they are getting. If it is a recurring error and not customer error, then reaching out to your payment provider will be the next best step. If you're using Shopify Payments, then all major credit cards would be supported. However, if you're seeing issues where customers are unable to pay with a specific card type, then we can investigate that for you so long as you have order examples to provide. If you can confirm that you're using Shopify Payments then I can reach out to you via email to verify the store and collect further information from you so we can conduct a review.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I am also having this issue. Spending a lot on advertisements and now seeing lots of abandon carts. So as Im looking into it I get an email from a customer who says she was sure she entered the correct info and getting “invalid pin” but it still charged her card although it did not come thru on our end. I explained it was an authorization and should reverse soon but most likely lost a customer.  Now Im wondering how many I have lost as traffic has been great today but more abandon carts than normal last couple days.  Please lmk what can be done about this!

Thank You

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1426 87 315

@MiSwatchCo 

I can fully appreciate the concern on how you might be losing sales. However, if it has only been the one customer who as reported issues I do not suspect there is an issue with your checkout, especially if you are receiving other orders as normal. Abandoned carts would be normal for any online business. If you are receiving several complaints about being able to checkout, then that is something we would want to investigate. Though, It does sound like your customer was having issues with either Shopify Pay (our accelerated checkout option), or they were inputting their banking information incorrectly. 

If the checkout is rejecting a customer, there is typically a failed payment line that would appear in the order timeline. If you open the abandoned cart and scroll down, do you see an error? If yes, what is the error? Does this error appear on more than one order?

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

same here I lose sales on a daily base because payment aren’t going trough with Debitcards - all I can say if the customer is reaching out to me that it’s a known problem with debitcards and they can checkout alternatively with a regular credit card or PayPal. Would love to see a official statement on this - I am using Shopify payments 

Code : card_declined 

Decline code: do_not_honor

if you reach out to the support which is useless in this cases to be honest, they say the customer needs to contact their bank , guess what a customer just sent me a message and called the bank , and they said everything is fine but still she can’t checkout with a debitcard 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1426 87 315

@Stefokess 

It is a tough situation to tackle simply because we only have the information the bank provides to us. Debit cards are not supported; however, most Visa/Mastercard Debit cards where the debit card is registered on a credit card network should work for online payments. That said, the information you've provided in your reply is the only information the bank provides to us if a card fails which is why we're unable to troubleshoot the issue further and request that the customer reach out to their bank. 

Overall, I think there may be some confusion surrounding the word "debit cards" as not all are co-branded cards that are registered on a credit card network. Even if they are, the card may be set up to decline online transactions, or not support online transactions. Nevertheless, if you were seeing a high number of declined transactions while using Shopify Payments then that would be something we can help investigate to determine if the issue is on our end, or if there is an issue on the customers' end. 

0 Likes