Country with no Payment provider. Ideas on what route to take?

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi, I live and have a business on a small island Curacao (Netherlands Antilles). I want to be able to receive credit card payments from my local clients for my online store.

There is a payment provider here ¨CXPAY¨ but they only work with Woocommerce and Magento.  I would not want to switch and want to continue with Shopify and not invest in Woocommerce or Magento.

The only ways Shopify lists to receive payments for my country are some bitcoin and other crypto currency services.

For now I will only use Shopify as an online catalog and receive payments on delivery or via banktransfers.  What routes are possible for me to receive credit card payments?  I do not care about receiveing the money locally or in the US.

Perhaps open a bank account and company in the US or another country that does have Shopify-compatible payment providers? I saw the following thread: https://community.shopify.com/c/Payments-Shipping-Fulfillment/Receiving-payments-when-you-re-outside...   . Savannah from Shopify wrote :

Savannah here from Shopify. :) 

So in order to have your store accept funds in USD, you need three things: 

• A physical address in the United States 
  • A US bank account (check!) 
  • The business needs to be registered in the US and have an EIN, or you need a SSN 

Apart from trying this route, does anyone have additional ideas on how I can receive credit card payments in a country that has no payment provider that works with Shopify? Am I doomed to using Woocommerce/Magento(Nooo!!!!) ?   

Is there perhaps some technical solution? Why would the payment provider be able to work with Magento and Wordpress/Woocommerce but not with Shopify? (I know its more a question for the payment provider )

I hope the local payment provider CXPAY https://cxpay.global/ will rapidly be able to work with Shopify....

Best regards,

Wezneck

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1064 64 124

Hi there @Wezneck!

Don here from Shopify. :)

Thanks for taking the time to outline your position here so clearly.

It's definitely a difficult situation and not one we can actively do a lot about for you right now from here in Shopify.

You could try checking out some of the other payment gateway options there which are not available in Netherlands Antilles by default; they might be able to accommodate you in some way if you could provide an address or bank account in another country.

It also looks like there are some custom integrations being offered by local providers via Oganro

We can't vouch for external services or gateways like this, but do want to always provide you with as much info as possible when we can.

In any case, you would still be able to set up manual payment methods like cash on delivery or bank transfer methods if you are happy to devise and support that yourself.

Finally, for now, there are also alternative payment methods of various sorts that you can check out including EBANX for Latin America.

As with all external entities, you would need to reach out to EBANX for information on how their service would work for your store.

Best of luck with getting a workable solution set up for your store and let us know if there's anything else we can illuminate for you. :)

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Don, thanks for the answers, 

For now I will use the Manual Payments only and I´ll explore Ebanx and Oganro and communicate to see if there is a possible solution. Also I´ll keep bothering the only local payment provider here to include support for Shopify.

Best regards,

Wezneck

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Don, hey about the previous question about being able to accept creditcards, would perhaps just accepting Paypal not suffice? if i can accept Paypal, it means everyone could pay anyway with creditcard via Paypal right? Or am I mistaken? 

Best Regards,

Terence

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1064 64 124

Hi again!

Don from Shopify once more. :)

While it is definitely possible to take payments via credit card for some versions of PayPal in some regions, you will just need to confirm the level of support for this that PayPal has in your region for your specific version of a PayPal gateway.

There are even versions of PayPal where your customers will be able to check out with just a credit card and not also require a PayPal account.

In order to be certain of what is available for your specific circumstances, you will just need to get in touch with PayPal support directly so they can field your questions.

They will have access to information on their processes and requirements that we simply don't have here in Shopify.

How have you found the process of getting set up so far?

Regards,

Don

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Dear Don, thanks for all the help in the past.

another question, let me briefly sketch out the situation:

I' m on the tiny Island Curacao, the only payment processor here " CXPAY " does not work with Shopify . It works with Woocommerce . 

On each transaction:

the payment processor charges me 

Monthly: US$ 15

Processing fee: 0.25%

Per transaction: US$ 0.25

The Bank carges me:

Commission Rate: 5% of transaction amount, plus the following where applicable.

Merchant Web site Components:                                                                                                                           

One-time Setup Fee.………………………………    $ 150.00

Monthly Fee………………………………………   $   30.00

Transaction Fee…………………………………… $       0.50

Chargeback Fee(< 5% transaction vol.)…...……… $      7.50

Chargeback Fee(> 5% transaction vol.)…………..  $    10.00

You see the payment processor AND the bank charges me and especially the bank rate and fees annoy me. 

Question : I am now going through the steps to NOT put my store on this limiting Island, but in the EU, i' m thinking of The Netherlands. 

1) With Shopify Payments, I read the following on your site "Businesses in the Netherlands can accept Visa, Mastercard, and American Express debit and credit cards, as well as payments using iDEAL."  I also read that with for example Shopify Basic, the rates are 2.9% + 30¢ . My Question is if the business bank in The Netherlands would charge me additional charges like my bank here on Curacao. In Curacao I have the Payment Processor charge me AND the Bank. With Shopify Payments in The Netherlands, would my bank charge me or will Shopify Payments just process everything and receive money on their account and just transfer money to my business bank in the Netherlands without the bank charging an additional % charge?

2)(Im dumb and ignorant!): Will potential in countries other than The Netherlands be charged some extra horrible conversion rate and charge when they buy in Euros and they have other currencies? How would I get an overview of how much more this will be? Lets say a client in the US buys from my site an item of 10Euros. Do I just take lets say xe.com as reference?  

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1064 64 124

Hi again @Wezneck!

Don from Shopify once again. :)

For your first query, this is something you would need to address to your bank, as we would have no way of knowing what the processes of your bank are going to be in this regard.

While you can sell and get paid in different currencies with Shopify Payments, if based in the Netherlands your payouts would always be in euro.

For your second query, if you choose to sell in a different currency to your payout currency, there would be an exchange rate and conversion fee applied as also outlined on that guide.

Check out the info above on our help site, have a look around there and in your admin and ask us anything else you need to know about Shopify here. 

Regards,

Don

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hey @Don ,

Will there be a way, that we can integrate with you?
We used to be, before banks required 3DS to be part of the transaction. 
After this, we heard, that we needed to charge the merchant a 1.5-2% processing fee.
Is that still in place, or are you charging the merchant this directly now or have dropped this % ?

The processing fee of the banks in the Caribbean varies between 2.9-5.28%. This is because the CardCompanies impose this to the Caribbean, giving banks a higher cost. This would be anywhere around 2.1-2.6%. After this, the the bank adds on to this.
So where there is volume, the fees are lower. Europe and the US and some LatAm countries have MILLIONS of users and merchants, making the fees be affordable.
Now the merchants are forced to go overseas, to incorporate in countries and to then be able to process with affordable prices (1.5-2% less). Hopefully then, they do not have the extra costs of setting up, monthly Fiduciary services and taxes and also bankwire fees.

Mind you, there are some, who try to process crossborder, which would not be an ethical way of doing business if it were to be done this "by the book":

5.4.1 Disclosure of Merchant Location

An Acquirer must ensure that each of its Merchants prominently and clearly discloses to the Cardholder at all points of interaction:

1. The name of the Merchant, so that the Cardholder can easily distinguish the Merchant from any other party, such as a supplier of products or services to the Merchant; and
  2. The location (physical address) of the Merchant to enable the Cardholder to easily determine, among other things, whether the Transaction will be a Domestic Transaction or a Cross-border Transaction. The Merchant location must be disclosed before the Cardholder is prompted to provide Card information.

The Merchant name and location, as disclosed to the Cardholder, must be the same as what is  provided in authorization and clearing Transaction messages.

5.4 Merchant Location

Except as otherwise provided in the Standards, a Merchant may accept Cards only at locations that are within the Acquirer’s Area of Use.

©1969–2017 Mastercard. Proprietary. All rights reserved.

Mastercard Rules • 1 June 2017

We want to work with everyone. 

As @Wezneck stated, we are mainly in the Dutch Caribbean, because we physically live there. We have setup our company in Aruba and Curacao and provide our services and pricing in a way not all gateways in the region or the world do it. 
- Low setup fee
- a small monthly fee
- per transaction: 0.25% and US$ 0.25 
The above become less, when there is volume processed

@Wezneck thank you for posting this, so we can communicate and find a way to assist you through Shopify.

@Don can you provide me an email of the department, which we can communicate with, to be able to integrate with Shopify and assist merchants from this area?

ps...we don't only offer Credit Card payments, but can offer 50+ other types of "Local Payment Methods" withOUT the merchant needing to setup their company in Europe or anywhere to be able to process the specific Payment method. (https://cxpay.global/lpms-local-payment-methods/)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1064 64 124

Hi there @CXPay!

Don from Shopify once again.

If you are looking to create an integration for your payment processor for use with Shopify, you can find all the info you need to get started and apply here on our developer help docs.

Check it out and see what you would need to do in order to apply to create this integration.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

0 Likes