Coupons not working?

Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 3

I'm getting several customers claiming they are putting in the coupon, seeing the discounted price, but being charged the full price. This is with both Paypal and Shopify payments. Is there something going on with coupons? I tried testing, but my tests came out as I expected.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
133 29 42

Hi @webaddict78, I would recommend you to check the orders for those customers, and you can see if those orders have any coupon code applied. If so, how much your customers paid against those orders. :)

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like and Accept as Solution
- Want to implement a custom solution? Feel free to contact me at waqas4346@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 3

The orders are not showing a coupon which, to me, means they aren't applying the coupon. However, three of them insist they did apply the coupon, saw the lower price, but were charged the non-coupon price. As if, according to them, the coupon "disappeared" when they submitted the order.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
676 63 88

Hello, @webaddict78.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

I understand you’ve had several customers reporting that the discount code wasn’t applied when they finalized their orders; however, you could not reproduce the issue on your end. That being said, I’m not seeing any other reported issues with discount codes. Since your tests came out as expected, it’s likely we will need more information about the orders or from the customers on the issue they’re experiencing. In order for us to take a closer look, are you able to get any screenshots from the customers or examples of their orders?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 3

It seems many of them are using Paypal Express Checkout. We're going through another round of customers that are submitting orders where the code hasn't applied. 

This customer used Paypal Express:

"It said when i was checking out that the code applied. And when the charge came through my account it charged me the full price"

Can you PLEASE give us the option to disable these quick checkouts?

I have my shops set to force users to go through the Cart where they must check a box stating "I understand there are NO REFUNDS or EXCHANGES for this purchase. COUPONS MUST BE APPLIED BEFORE COMPLETING CHECKOUT."

On my checkout page I have altered text to try and discourage the use of Paypal Express Checkout.

chechout.png

Unfortunately I have no other control over that page or I would make the message bigger and bolder. I have set up a "Coupon Usage" page on my site showing customers HOW to checkout with a coupon. In doing so I was only able to reproduce when I neglected to "apply" the coupon. There are still errors somewhere in the process, though I suspect they are user errors. Each time we refund, we lose fees which add up. There has to be a better way.

Can the coupon box be moved to the cart so that it is applied before any type of payment is even considered?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
676 63 88

Hey, @webaddict78.

Thank you for following up and sharing your workaround. You can disable the Accelerated checkouts and dynamic checkout buttons for Shopify Pay, Apple Pay, or Google Pay. As for the PayPal Express Checkout dynamic button, I’ve checked our Theme Support team and confirmed that the PayPal Express Checkout dynamic button can be disabled through the theme. That being said, if you’re using a Shopify theme, this is something our Theme Support can help with. However, if you’re using a third-party theme, you’ll need to check with the theme developer and see if they can help you with this customization.

It is possible to move the discount box to the cart page through custom coding. However, this type of customization is unsupported by our Theme Support, you can hire a developer from Shopify Experts. Experts are experienced with custom coding and they’ll be able to help you implement this feature. That said, our Theme Support has also advised me that this doesn’t create a great user experience due to the following limitations:

• It’s not possible to validate the discount codes on the cart page. This means that the customer could enter an invalid discount code in the cart page, potentially see a “success” message, and then continue to the checkout before being informed that the discount code is invalid.
  • It’s not possible to calculate the discount value. This means that customers will not see the effect of a valid discount until they continue to the checkout.
  • If there are multiple “Check out now” buttons on the store, then the implementation of this function will be considerably more complex. 
  • This requires javascript to be enabled. If the customer has disabled javascript, then they’ll see a form but will be unable to interact with it. 

I was able to find your store and I can see that you are using a third-party theme. I recommend checking if there’s an updated version of your theme available first, as the theme developer may have already addressed this issue. Have you already reached out to them?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 3

The amount of emails that I receive that say:

"entered the code and it immediately completed the purchase at 20!!"

"typed in "CODE" then "apply" and it immediately completed the transaction for $20 with no pause"

"I entered the code CODE but it didn't apply the coupon to my order. "

It's unbelievable. I can not be the only one with shoppers who apparently can't use a coupon code properly. Sure, I can refund the discount amount, but I've paid transaction fees on that and I'm not getting those fees back.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
676 63 88

Hey, @webaddict78.

Thank you for the follow-up and I'm sorry to hear that the issue is persisting with PayPal. I've located your store and I can have our Technical team take a closer look. I've sent an authentication email to the registered email address on file. Please check your inbox/spam/junk folder in the account owner's email and reply to it. Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 3

I appreciate it, I've been trying to collect more data

This week I've had customers put in the coupon code and when they hit apply, the purchase goes through without any other prompting and no discount.

Two different stores using 2 different themes

Store 1  - Android using Chrome browser - Payment went through ShopPay

Store 2 - Iphone - Payment went through ShopPay

I use a different Shopify login for these stores. I run the customer service for a client. I can privately give you her contact info and the shop addresses. Shop 1 is linked to my developer account, but shop 2 is not.

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
676 63 88

Hey, @webaddict78.

Thank you for sharing further details and collecting more data for us. I've sent an authentication email to the registered email we have on file for you. Can you check if you've received it?

With that said, our Technical team can definitely take a look at the first shop since it's directly associated with your email. However, we will need to have the second shop authenticated by the account owner or a staff on file in that store. One option is to have the account owner or a staff on file reach out to us directly. Or, you can cc the authentication email to the store owner or a staff member (including yourself using the email on file) and respond to the authentication email.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

0 Likes