Create more than 1 automatic discount code

4 0 0

Hi.

I was trying to create a second automatic discount code in my store but I got an error. I would like to know more about this and why it tells me to select another date as shown in the attached image. I know that there is this "buy x get y" discount available in shopify aside from the discount code that I will provide. Aside from this, is it possible to add another discount code?

Thank you,
YM

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2370 163 339

Hi YM, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

Within the Shopify admin, it is only possible to have one active automatic discount code at any given time. The reason being is customers cannot apply more than one discount code for an order and automatic discounts take precedence over regular discount codes. Something to remember is that you can have multiple active discount codes but customers can only apply one per order. 

Shopify has a helpful document going into more detail on automatic discounts which you can see here.  

Your best bet in this instance might be to check out some of the discount apps on the Shopify app store to see if they can add to what you are looking to do overall. Some of the best/ most popular discount apps can be found below:

Hopefully this answers your question and points you in the right direction for best next steps. Any other questions, just let me know. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
153 0 2

Hello

I realize you are looking for a way to use discount deals. You can use other discount methods. Discount code is great but it is only shown on the checkout page. I found a discount app and it can show discount price on homepage, product pages, and checkout page. It is Discount Mater.

Don't hesitate to install it. You can try a free plan to check features. 

0 Likes
Tourist
13 0 1

@YM wrote:

Hi.

I was trying to create a second automatic discount code in my store but I got an error. I would like to know more about this and why it tells me to select another date as shown in the attached image. I know that there is this "buy x get y" discount available in shopify aside from the discount code that I will provide. Aside from this, is it possible to add another discount code?

Thank you,
YM

Very lame, and very weak. K-Mart's web site could do this, not sure why Shopify can't.  It's a simple matter of if-this, then-that.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
34 0 11

My guess here is that such limitations as only allowing one 'automatic discount', stem from Shopify's unwillingness to upset their 3rd party app developers.

Shopify's app store is teaming with 3rd party (and predominantly) paid apps that enable people to have multiple tiered discounts, and some of the smaller app developers would potentially go out of business overnight if Shopify allowed us to have more than one automatic discount in-house.

It's a viscous circle in which Shopify have created for themselves by having their app store. All these paid 3rd party apps that do tiered discounts are extremely clunky - one day they work, then upon a theme update or a theme refresh they are suddenly rendered dysfunctional, thus leading to the requirement of custom injections of code to make them work again, code of which sometimes messes up the entire structure and functioning of some merchants stores. Even when the apps do work as stipulated by the developer, literally all of these discount apps take away some other natural functionality of your store's cart/checkout flow as a result, reducing the overall quality of the store's shopping experience.

One thing I've learnt in my 10 years of using Shopify is - use as little 3rd party apps as possible, because in the end, the apps either stop functioning one day, or simply disappear from the app store altogether and thus are no longer updated or supported.

I would think it inevitable that Shopify will bite the bullet on this limitation and allow us merchants to create more than automatic discount and thus have 'proper' tiered discounts on bulk quantity purchases. But when that day will arrive is unpredictable. Heck I've waited 10+ years just to have any automatic discount at all!

6 Likes
Tourist
3 0 3

Very well put - I too waited 7 years for them to add a "cost" option so that we could have a simple cost of goods sold function.  the app they recommended for it before (Profiteer) was beyond useless.

For all it's problems, Shopify is still (in my opinion having managed over 15 retail premises and website, as well as 7 other e-commerce sites) the easiest to use and best value for money.

But yeah, really need to add this to the roadmap, Shopify.

3 Likes
Tourist
3 0 3

To be fair, K Mart is a multi billion dollar company who use a custom built website - trying to compare Shopify to it is a bit unfair.

The beauty of Shopify is being able to create an exceptionally functional and beautifully designed store front with easy management.

Yes, it does lack certain features (I too am looking for a method of creating multiple automatic discount codes), but I wouldn't use K Mart as an example of functionality as K Mart aren't a web development service.

0 Likes