Creating advanced shipping rules

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Hey, 

I'm currently a 1 product store and we use USPS priority mail for all orders. We're adding a second product that has different dimensions and now I'm not sure how to create shipping rates. 
Currently, I do it by weight in relation to what we can fit into USPS flat rate boxes, but it will be different for the 2 different products. I'd also love to have rates calculated by zone on the regional boxes to pass on savings to customers. 
I've tried 4 different shipping rule apps, and none allow this type of customization that I've found. 
I'm on the basic plan, but pay annually so have calculated rates added (I think). 
Do I need to hire a developer to create an app for me, or is there a more simple solution? I tried searching forums but didn't find any similar threads with answers. 
I'm curious how other companies do shipping as many have tons more products than we do and it would seem way more complicated than just the 2 we have. 
Any help much appreciated

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
546 31 86

Hey, @Patrick_Draper!

That's great that you're expanding your product line and are looking at ways to calculate shipping rates that go together with your product dimensions and your zone rates. 

You mentioned that you've already tried some apps. What are the names of the apps you've tried? Let me know and I can do some digging to see if we have different apps in our app store that could help. 

The annual plan does come with free CCS, however you do need to have it enabled by our support team. If you already have it enabled by our support team, you'll see the feature available under "Settings > Shipping" under the "Calculated rates" section, where you can add rates. If you don't see this, just let me know and I can add this in for you! 

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Hey Tira, 

Thanks for the reply. 

I tried: 

1. Advanced Shipping Rules

2. Master Shipping

3. Parcelify

4. Better Shipping

None allowed me to set custom amounts for the pre-determined USPS box sizes, or calculate regional rates. 

I'm pretty sure CCS is setup on my store. I didn't see calculated rate under 'settings - shipping' but under the zones, I have currently setup, there is a calculated rates option that can connect with various apps. I called shopify and they said it was set up. 

Thanks for any other thoughts!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
546 31 86

Thanks for getting back to me, @Patrick_Draper!

I really appreciate you providing the list of apps that you've provided. It also sounds like you definitely have CCS enabled! 

There are a few apps I can recommend that will help with setting custom rates/allowing regional rates if they are available:

Boxify - You can record the dimensions of your products and shipping boxes and Boxify will connect with shipping carriers to calculate the best rates. 

Bespoke Shipping - You can create advanced box shipping algorithms to get the most accurate shipping available and also set rates depending on the customer's postal code. 

If you have any questions about the apps above, you can reach out to the app developer directly by clicking on their contact information underneath the "Support" tab on the app's page for assistance. 

This is actually a request that is quite common among merchants. What I can do is add your name to the list of merchants who need this feature, so that our developers team are aware, and can work on improving the platform to make it better for you and all of our merchants. If we do go forward with this request, we'll be announcing it to all merchants, you may also take a look at our changelog for updates: Shopify Changelog.

Let me know if this helps! I'm also curious to see what the community has to suggest. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1
Hey Tira,

Thanks for the recommendations. I will check out Boxify as it seems like it
might work, and post back on this thread if it does.

All the best,

Patrick
1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi!

I signed up for the annual plan as well.  I could not find the CCS under the "Settings > Shipping" > Calculated rates.  Could you help check if its there?  

Thanks!

SW

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

My understanding is that Shopify's custom calculated rates don't actually calculate rates for you based on product size, weight, destination, etc. I ended up added an app, Boxify, that does that for me. 
The shipping settings on your store allow you to do basic things like fixed price/weight, etc. 

To do anything more sophisticated, you'll need a 3rd party app

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
546 31 86

Hi, @tansungwah

The CCS feature needs to be added in by one of our staff members after you select the annual plan. I have gone ahead and sent you an email about this, so that I can take a look at your account and add it in for you.  

Could you please take a look at the email and reply back to me? 

Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
Hi!

My account is testing-store277.myshopify.com

Thanks!
SW
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
546 31 86

Hi, @tansungwah!

Thank you for your store URL. I've gone ahead and replied to your email to me and added CCS to your account!

0 Likes