Currency conversion help

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

I have had my store for a year and I am failing miserably. I can't generate enough traffic via social media. I have had a couple of gos at paid advertsing but still no luck. I also sell on Etsy, and Shopify is a sideline for me, so I keep it on and try to keep learning. It just occurred to me today (Doh!) that my products are no doubt displaying all over the world in $AU, my home currency. Because Etsy automatically translates a listing price to the viewer's currency, I assumed this would happen in Shopify. I'm sure this puts off what little international traffic I get, including my valued subscribers, who probably all assume the price is in $US, so I look very expensive to them. I am thinking of installing a currency conversion app but I have no ability or confidence working with code. Can anyone recommend a free, easy to install and reliable currency converter? Do these just put a converter in the checkout or is there one which will display the buyer's curency on the product pages as well? I tried changing my prices to show as $AU95.00 instead of $95.00, but Shopify won't accept this. Advice re a converter and any general feedback on my store would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
816 50 103

Hi there Joanne!

Don here from Shopify. :)

I can definitely suggest a few good apps for currency conversion and provide some info about how this all works for you.

First up, these are probably the most commonly used currency apps we see in merchants' stores:

Either of these apps or any others like this will allow your customers to change the displayed currency in your store to one of their choosing.

However, it is not possible to change the home currency of your store (the one in which customers actually check out) with these apps.

You can, of course, change your store's currency in the settings > payments menu though often a payment gateway will only allow you to sell in certain currencies.

If you are unable to change the currency setting in your settings > payments menu this would be as a result of the restrictions put in place by your payment gateway and you would need to look into using a different gateway.

For stores based in Australia, the following payment gateways are available there.

Check out the apps above, reach out to their developers if you have any questions above their use (there is always a contact form and email address on any app store page you can use to contact the developers for support) and think about whether you want to just convert the currency displayed in your store or if you would want to change your store's default currency to USD entirely.

You can also always get in touch with us via our support site, anytime, 24/7. :)

All the best!

Regards,
Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Thanks Don,

I have just installed the Best Currency Converter, thank you.

0 Likes