Custom Order Fulfilment

Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi there

I am pre launch, and curretly setting up our Shopify Store. I hoping someone will be able to help me better understand "custom order fulfilment" in Shopify and/or suggest the best way to manage order fulfilment with our 3PL. 

For context:

We will be using a small 3PL company with limited technology to manage our order fulfilment. I am hopeful to set up our Shopify store in a way that I can easily notify the 3PL company of the order (i.e. via email), but not mark the order as fulfilled until i have confirmation from our 3PL that the item has been shipped. From this point, I would enter the shipping tracking details into Shopify and mark the order as fulfilled (and send an email to the customer).

My current understanding is that by using "custom order fulfilment," the order will be marked as fulfilled (and the customer notified) at the point i send the order to the 3PL? I envisage this could create a number of problems given the time lag between fulfilment being marked and orders being shipped, shipping information being sent to a customer etc. However, I may have misunderstood how this all works in the back end.......

Can anyone help clarify the "custom order fulfilment' process or perhaps recommend a better way to manage things?

Many thanks in advance

Amie 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
97 1 21

Hey Amie, 

I'm Zuzanna, a Guru here at Shopify :)

When it comes to custom order fulfillment within our platform, using that feature would be the best way to notify your 3PL company of any orders that come in. You are correct though, you do need to mark the order as fulfilled in order to send any information over to your company. 

That said, you don't have to notify the customer that the order has been fulfilled at that moment. Basically what happens is when you click the link to fulfill the order, you will see a spot where you can uncheck that you want your customer notified, hit that, and just the order information gets sent to the fulfillment company. 

Then when you are ready, you can go back into the order, and send a shipping confirmation email complete with tracking information :) You can see more details about order fulfillment and where the option to not notify your customer right away is on this page in our Shopify Manual!

Additionally, this page will have more details about setting up your custom fulfillment company within your Shopify store. 

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to reach out to us here! We're around 24/7 :)

Have a great one,
Zuzanna

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
1 0 0

Hi Amy! My company specialized in chargeback and fraud prevention, and we have a full back-office support feature than can help you with fulfillment, client support, abandoned cart follow up and more. Feel f ree to message me for more information, we would love to provide our simple, effective solutions to your company! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
17 0 0

Amie, 

There's actually an easier way than using the Shopify dropshipping and fulfillment services section on Shopify. I own an ecommerce fulfillment company called Ships-a-Lot, and our integration uses the Shopify App Shiphero, which makes this entire process 100x easier. I would highly recommend looking into Shiphero or shooting me an email at info@shipsalot.com if you have any other questions. 

For more information on 3PL services, you can check this article out https://smallbiztrends.com/2017/01/order-fulfillment-services.html 

https://www.linkedin.com/in/zachzitney
0 Likes
Highlighted
38 0 0

There are alot of fulfillment companies and 3pls that exist. I have been using librexpress.com for about 2 years now. I would check them out. They are the cheapest option and least stressful option that I have found so far.

0 Likes