Custom Shipping / Fulfillment Using the Shopify shipping-fulfillment-app

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hello!

We are developing a Shopify shop for a client and would like to give them more control over how they set the shipping prices for their products.

I see that Shopify currently only lets shops specify shipping by total weight or price of the items in the cart.

After looking all over the web and these forums it seems to me using the Shipping-Fulfillment App shown on github might be one way to do custom shipping pricing.

https://github.com/Shopify/shipping-fulfillment-app

So was wondering if I might register as a fulfillment and shipping service available to only my client's app, and then when we receive a request for fulfillment we would call out to FedEx to get the shipping but also add in any custom handling or other product specific fees.

Just wondering if this is the proper usage of the shipping-fulfillment-app and if I should proceed with trying to register as a shipper/fulfiller as indicated on the github page.

What creative things might be done with this shipping-fulfillment-app?

Thanks!
Dave Rogers

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi Dave

We had a few clients in the same boat so we created a work-around application, Custom Shipping Quotes

As orders come in, they appear in the app. Store owners can then quote a shipping price for each individual order.

The customer is sent the quote, if they accept it they can proceed with payment (currently PayPal only).

It's less elegant than registering as a fulfillment and shipping service, but it gives you full control.

I hope you find it useful.

Scott

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hi Scott, looks interesting thanks. Our requirement is to suport a wider range of payers though. Not sure if you do consullting but if you could offer any andvice or experience about setting up the shipping-fulfillment-app that would really help us. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

Hi DaveR,

You might also be interested in our shipping app!

The app is called Sendly (the friendly way to send your packages). Sendly is free to all Shopify users and it’s currently in Beta. You can find it here: http://apps.shopify.com/sendly. 

Your clients can use Sendly to find the best rate for shipping their packages and choose to pass on the savings to their customers. They can use Sendly to ship with brands that are known and trusted: UPS, Canada Post, FedEx and they can save up to 30% on shipments originating in Canada.

Find out more: http://apps.shopify.com/sendly
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions – support@secureship.ca 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

I have a alternative app that helps you to do custom shipping prices, the Multi Carrier Shipping label app. With this app, you can set prices based on total order weight, total price of order, total quantity of items in cart. Moreover, you can set prices based on product type. So if a certain product needs prices based on flat rates and other needs prices based on quantity, even this can be achieved with the app. 

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes