Customer Card Payments declined

Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 2

Hi,

I have many abundant carts from our customers. The most reasons are due to credit card payment unsuccessful. Here is the error message which is very generic.

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 12.28.11 PM.png

We have started our online store just 2 months ago. We have payment acceptance from other gateway like shop pay, or paypal.

Any suggestion, how we can solve the problem. We are loosing our business and customer due to this problem.

Best Regards,

Agha 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
362 46 60

Hey there, @amshoeb1!

Ryder here, from the Social Care Team at Shopify. Thanks for posting! I'm sorry to hear that you've been losing business as a result of this, but I'd be happy to see how I can be of assistance. Is the transaction displayed in your screenshot one made through Shopify Payments or through PayPal? In both cases, it seems as though the issue lies within the card itself. 

Shopify Payment is powered by Stripe. As you can see in this Decline Codes guide of theirs, the customer will neeed to contact their card issuer for more information:

27-30-qe70f-r1zgb

Similarly, in PayPal's API Error Codes guide, the "Do Not Honor" error code is a 0500 PayPal error code. The Terminal Report for the 0500 error is "Declined - Contact Issuing Bank for Additional Details", meaning that your customers would need to contact their bank in order to resolve the issue. You can also read my answer here for more information about the possible reasons for credit card declines. 

I understand a concern of yours is losing business as a result of these cases; however, these issues will need to be addressed by the cardholder themselves. In the meantime, I'd be happy to learn more about your business and what you've been doing for marketing to see if we can increase your conversions some other way. 

Cheers!

-

Ryder A. | Social Care Team at Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 2

Hi Ryder,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it is very frustrating. We have just started and lucky enough that we are getting conversions but at the same time so many declines at the checkout.

Not good for our store as well and on the other hand, customer get annoy.

I have observed that many payment have been accepted as well from cards and shop pay.

I dont have issue with paypal payments.

For marketing, we are using facebook ads so far only and gradually improving it with different strategies.

Just one more question, for new add set, after how many clicks I should get my first sale if every thing is ok?

Thanks.

Agha

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hey Ryder, I am currently a week into researching this same issue with my shopify store, I am trying new things everyday desperately trying to resolve this payment issue as i'd say 90% of people who try to purchase something cant and I see this error message when I look into it. Tanks, Will.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

This is still a problem and I think it’s with Shopify, my customer is paying with a VISA card and can NOT Purchase, I was told funds are on the card but the card is being Declined. I know this can hurt my business, what about other customers the other customers with VISA. I’m confused. 

D56CEAD7-891B-40AB-A962-C7EC00ABF503.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
13 0 0

Hi, I'm not sure how to create a post or how to contact shopify theme. Customers' credit cards are getting declined on my store, what should I do now? I'm quite frustrated now! PLEASE HELP!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
362 46 60

Hi, @amshoeb1!

My apologies for the late response, I must've missed your response there! I'd be happy to elaborate a little more on both your marketing and analytics, as well as these declines your customers are experiencing.

Marketing

In regards to marketing, I wouldn't leave it up to clicks alone. There are many aspects to consider whether a campaign is successful. The first thing I'd recommend looking at is your traffic rate - are you seeing at least 1000 online store sessions in the last 30 days? If you've hit that goal, and are under a 2% conversion rate, you'll want to check out your Bounce rate.

You can also add a column to find information on the campaigns you're running.

What is your bounce rate currently sitting at?

High bounce rates (70% or higher) are often a result of poor campaigning. It's important to consider who specifically your target market. If you're unclear as to who exactly is your target market, try creating a buyer persona! One way to validate both your business idea and your target audience is to market organically, before investing in paid advertisements. Have you done any organic marketing? What are you currently selling on your store?

If you'd like more information on Facebook Advertising, I recommend checking out the Facebook Ads for Beginners: A Step-By-Step Guide along with the Facebook Marketing courses we offer in our Shopify Compass.

Customer Credit Card Declines

I can empathize with the frustration that this may cause, and I appreciate you all - @Rehmanalipk@J1000, and @Wdiaz7120 - reaching out to express your concerns. The information our payment gateway receives is directly from the credit card company. Any information we receive will be displayed in the Abandoned Checkout Order Timeline. Unfortunately, most declines are generic, so we don’t have much information as to why a charge was specifically declined. If there isn't enough information provided there, it's best to direct your customer to their credit card company for more information on why that transaction was declined, and to ask for future charges to be accepted.

Declines can happen for a variety of reasons. When we submit a charge to a customer’s bank, they have automated systems that determine whether or not to accept the charge. These systems take various signals into account, such as your customer’s spending habits, account balance, and card details (like the expiration date and CVV). Since these signals are constantly changing, a previously successful card might be declined in the future. Even if all of the card information is correct, and your customer previously had a successful payment, a future charge can still be declined by a bank’s overzealous fraud systems. You can check out this forum post for more information.

Hope this helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can clarify.

-

Ryder A. | Social Care Team at Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

I'm having the same issue - customers can't pay.  Has this been resolved for you yet?

0 Likes
Highlighted
12 0 0

I am also having same issue! I have seen customer tried paying with 2 separate cards (mastercard and visa) and both were declined? This is so frustrating and needs to be looked into urgently.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
37 0 1

Same issue. Have you resolved it?

I am open for serious partnership. Message me.
www.xandreapremium.com
0 Likes