Customer Card Payments declined

Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 1

Hi,

I have many abundant carts from our customers. The most reasons are due to credit card payment unsuccessful. Here is the error message which is very generic.

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 12.28.11 PM.png

We have started our online store just 2 months ago. We have payment acceptance from other gateway like shop pay, or paypal.

Any suggestion, how we can solve the problem. We are loosing our business and customer due to this problem.

Best Regards,

Agha 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
298 39 51

Hey there, @amshoeb1!

Ryder here, from the Social Care Team at Shopify. Thanks for posting! I'm sorry to hear that you've been losing business as a result of this, but I'd be happy to see how I can be of assistance. Is the transaction displayed in your screenshot one made through Shopify Payments or through PayPal? In both cases, it seems as though the issue lies within the card itself. 

Shopify Payment is powered by Stripe. As you can see in this Decline Codes guide of theirs, the customer will neeed to contact their card issuer for more information:

27-30-qe70f-r1zgb

Similarly, in PayPal's API Error Codes guide, the "Do Not Honor" error code is a 0500 PayPal error code. The Terminal Report for the 0500 error is "Declined - Contact Issuing Bank for Additional Details", meaning that your customers would need to contact their bank in order to resolve the issue. You can also read my answer here for more information about the possible reasons for credit card declines. 

I understand a concern of yours is losing business as a result of these cases; however, these issues will need to be addressed by the cardholder themselves. In the meantime, I'd be happy to learn more about your business and what you've been doing for marketing to see if we can increase your conversions some other way. 

Cheers!

-

Ryder A. | Social Care Team at Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 1

Hi Ryder,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it is very frustrating. We have just started and lucky enough that we are getting conversions but at the same time so many declines at the checkout.

Not good for our store as well and on the other hand, customer get annoy.

I have observed that many payment have been accepted as well from cards and shop pay.

I dont have issue with paypal payments.

For marketing, we are using facebook ads so far only and gradually improving it with different strategies.

Just one more question, for new add set, after how many clicks I should get my first sale if every thing is ok?

Thanks.

Agha

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hey Ryder, I am currently a week into researching this same issue with my shopify store, I am trying new things everyday desperately trying to resolve this payment issue as i'd say 90% of people who try to purchase something cant and I see this error message when I look into it. Tanks, Will.

0 Likes