Customer canceled credit card, then used it to order. Still showing paid. Will there be a chargeback

Highlighted
3 0 0

A customer had a problem with her credit card. She canceled it. Forgot she canceled it and used it to order through my store's Shopify eBay channel. PayPal let the transaction go through. I've waited 12 days to see if it would be canceled or for a chargeback and it is still showing paid. Does anyone know if they payment will eventually be charged back?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
671 63 88

Hello, @ChristineA.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

I understand one of your customers placed an order with a cancelled credit card and there’s some concern whether this payment would be cancelled or become a chargeback. This depends on the customer’s bank, as some banks are able to forward pending charges onto their new credit card. However, since you’re aware of the problem and customers can always place their order again - it might be best to cancel and refund the order so that you can prevent a chargeback. That said, a chargeback can occur up to 90 days after the transaction. For this reason, I will also recommend checking with PayPal and seeing what their suggestions are. 

I hope this suggestion gives you a couple of ideas to consider. If you have any other questions on order management or chargeback, don’t hesitate to let me know in this thread!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes