Customer selected shipping methods.

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Is it possible to shut off the automatic selection of shipping method?  We want our customers to choose rather than having one option selected by default.  We continually hear 'well I didn't pick that method', which is true, it was selected by default.  We can't change it on our end because of the cost difference.  I see several other threads complaining about similar problems going back years.  Surely there is a solution by now??

1 Like
Highlighted
Navigator
293 32 66

Hi @ClevToolMan 

How do you have your shipping set up?

• Do you have different products in different shipping profiles? (If this is the case, and a customer chooses products from different shipping profiles in the same order, it will combine the shipping cost from the different profiles and only offer one 'shipping option' at checkout.)
  • Are you using carrier calculated rates, or do you have 'manually created' shipping methods based on weight, cost, etc.?

We use the carrier calculated rates on our store, and are able to select the individual shipping services from each carrier that we want to offer. We have never had any issue from the beginning with offering multiple shipping methods for customers to choose from.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
436 6 32

Hi,

I hope enabling carrier-calculated rates on your store would help. This will help you display rates from different carriers so that, your customers can select from those. To access your carrier-calculated rates for different carriers like UPS, DHL, USPS, etc there are 3 options:

• Upgrade your plan to Advanced Shopify Plan
  • Add this feature for an additional $20/month on your current Shopify plan
  • Choose yearly subscription for your current Shopify plan, with which you can get this option for free.

You can then contact Shopify support via chat to enable this.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

I upgraded to get the carrier calculated rates, I added those accounts, I re-setup the rates and services.  Then went to place a test order and still have the cheapest rate chosen by default.

ClevToolMan_0-1597330462981.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Also, Priority Mail should be an option but is not.  Now I can't switch back to what was functioning before.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Navigator
293 32 66

Hi again @ClevToolMan 

I think both @HariKrishna  and I misunderstood your questions. The way your question was phrased, it seemed that you were saying that it would only offer your customers one shipping option, so they did not have options to choose from.

Changing the checkout so that the cheapest shipping option is no longer preselected would probably require upgrading to Shopify Plus so that you have control of your Checkout liquid (to my knowledge).

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi @ClevToolMan - did you by any chance find a solution here? It's crazy that this is still an issue! We want to give customers choice with shipping as prices have increased because of Covid but we don't want the cheapest option selected automatically. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Nope, it seems that without writing a custom checkout page (and upgrading again) there is always a pre-checked option based on the cheapest. We could go through 600+ items to try and create rules so that options disappear, but really we just want to do our thing and not manage the software’s weaknesses. 

0 Likes