Customer should select to overwrite default address

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
55 0 87

I am increasingly hitting a problem whereby customers order gift products so they naturally choose a different name and shipping address leaving their billing address as is. However, shopify then updates the customers default address to the shipping address so the account still has their name but the recipients address - this is clearly stupid, and it is causing me big problems and lost money as many of my customers also have subscriptions and their address has been changed unbeknownst to me. I am now wasting time and money getting a private app developed to check all orders and warn me if the address has changed in this manner.

It also looks pretty dumb to my customers when they next log in to their account and see they have moved house to their friend/relation/colleague etc. address. When this address is in a different country it affects the pricing I offer for my subscription products which are post inclusive. I then have to explain to such customers I have over or undercharged them - all because they kindly sent a gift to their mum, dad, son etc.

I read elsewhere that this behaviour is deliberate in case the customer moves address. However, when they specify a different name they are clearly sending this to someone else so the default address should remain untouched. 

There are no warnings or prompts to the customer or settings available to the merchant to control this.

I would like to suggest two improvements to the checkout to help resolve this:

1 - never update the default address if the customer has specified a different name for shipping - this would hopefully be a simple fix that would solve most of these problems

2 - when shipping and billing address are different, both to each other and the default address, give the customer an option to update the default address from one of them. By default it should leave the default address alone.

I hope shopify take this suggestion seriously as I'm sure it is a common problem for other merchants and customers

John

0 Likes