Customer shows pending charge, but I show the payment was declined

Solved
Dee_Wilkerson
Tourist
8 1 3

Is there a way to force an order to go through? 

Reason I ask: I have an order in my Abandoned Checkouts section. I show that the customer attempted to pay for the order twice with the same credit card, but the charges were "declined" because the zip code failed verification. The actual verbiage states " Unable to process a payment for $191.06 USD on the Mastercard ending in 3924 ". This is shown twice, one for each attempt and the order did not process and did not receive an order #.

HOWEVER, the customer sent me a screenshot of their bank account (below) that clearly shows a pending transaction of $0.00 (1st attempt) and $191.06 (2nd attempt). How can this be? How can their card account show a pending charge but on my end shows that payment was not made?

RenderedImage.jpeg

What, if anything, can be done?

At this point she has to wait until the pending amount of $191.06 goes away (3 days) before she can attempt the purchase again, which, misses a deadline for me.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks! Dee

0 Likes
Peter
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2022 161 432

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @Dee_Wilkerson

The short answer would be no, it would not be possible to force an order to go through. Your customers' credit card would have been declined by their bank for a specific reason. Even though it was declined, they are seeing an "authorization" amount pending on their mobile banking app which would drop off within 2-5 business days depending on their bank. If it failed due to the card not passing the zip code verification then there would be two different routes that can be taken. 

1. Disable the zip code verification fraud feature in Settings/Payment Providers/Manage (For Shopify Payments)
  2. Have the customer reach out to their bank to update their billing information so the zip code matches the information they are entering

As the charges were declined an order would not be created in your admin as the amount was never successfully charged. If available funds are the issue for your customer, then they could reach out to their bank to see if they are able to remove the authorization and update their zip code to allow them to attempt another purchase. Otherwise, they will need to wait for the authorization to fall off and try again. In the meantime, you could create a draft order for the product and send them an invoice so they do not have to go through the steps again of adding the product to the cart and entering in their information to make the process as easy as possible. They can also try processing the payment through a different credit card, or use an alternative payment method if you provide other options within your store (i.e. Paypal). 

Let me know if you have any questions!

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes