Customers Unable to Checkout: "Credit and debit card payments aren’t available right now."

Solved
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello, 

After noticing a significant conversion rate dropoff on my store a few days ago, I found out that many of my customers are reaching the payment section of checkout, just to get a message telling them: "Credit and debit card payments aren’t available right now". Paypal still seems to work, but the majority of my purchases use standard credit/debit. 

I've replicated checkout flow myself, using different browsers, internet networks, and devices, and received the error prompt every time. Attaching some screenshots. This is detrimental to my store right now and I can't seem to find any way to fix it. I haven't changed anything about my checkout flow in the past few days either, so can't imagine what the trigger was. 

Any help would be massively appreciated. Thank you!

Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 12.23.09 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-08-02 at 1.06.10 AM.png 

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
483 26 64

Hey, @KhalH!

Ava here from Shopify.

We just had an unexpected issue that is causing some problems with the way our checkout is processing payments. Our developers are investigating this issue and hope to have it resolved soon. While I do not have an exact ETS for when this will be resolved, you can keep up to date here on our status page - https://status.shopify.com/. Payments will still go through if the customer enters their card details, so this error is only visual at the moment. 

We should have this resolved soon, but do let me know if you are still seeing errors once it has been resolved!

Ava

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
2 0 0

Thanks @Ava . 

Are you able to provide any further details on what time/day the bug began and how widespread it was (e.g. 100% of customers)? Are you sure it has been fully resolved now? 

My conversion rate dropped 90% during this period, and sadly this has cost me thousands in wasted ads. The impact on my standing in the google/facebook auction is probably also detrimental, but it's still too early to tell. Any additional information would be appreciated. 

thanks.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
483 26 64

Hey again @KhalH

I can definitely understand the frustration here. This issue started at 14.11 EDT and a fix was implemented 1 hour and 34 minutes later at 15.45 EDT. The issue was marked as fully resolved just over 15 minutes later at 16.01 EDT. The whole issue lasted less than two hours, which can be seen on our status page

02-14-248qc-xa6jp

This was mainly a display error, so it looked like payments could not be processed. However, if credit card details were added, the payments were still being processed. Are you still seeing errors like this on your site?

Ava

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes