Customers Unable to Checkout: "Credit and debit card payments aren’t available right now."

Solved
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello, 

After noticing a significant conversion rate dropoff on my store a few days ago, I found out that many of my customers are reaching the payment section of checkout, just to get a message telling them: "Credit and debit card payments aren’t available right now". Paypal still seems to work, but the majority of my purchases use standard credit/debit. 

I've replicated checkout flow myself, using different browsers, internet networks, and devices, and received the error prompt every time. Attaching some screenshots. This is detrimental to my store right now and I can't seem to find any way to fix it. I haven't changed anything about my checkout flow in the past few days either, so can't imagine what the trigger was. 

Any help would be massively appreciated. Thank you!

Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 12.23.09 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-08-02 at 1.06.10 AM.png 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
794 41 122

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @KhalH!

Ava here from Shopify.

We just had an unexpected issue that is causing some problems with the way our checkout is processing payments. Our developers are investigating this issue and hope to have it resolved soon. While I do not have an exact ETS for when this will be resolved, you can keep up to date here on our status page - https://status.shopify.com/. Payments will still go through if the customer enters their card details, so this error is only visual at the moment. 

We should have this resolved soon, but do let me know if you are still seeing errors once it has been resolved!

Ava

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thanks @Ava . 

Are you able to provide any further details on what time/day the bug began and how widespread it was (e.g. 100% of customers)? Are you sure it has been fully resolved now? 

My conversion rate dropped 90% during this period, and sadly this has cost me thousands in wasted ads. The impact on my standing in the google/facebook auction is probably also detrimental, but it's still too early to tell. Any additional information would be appreciated. 

thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
794 41 122

Hey again @KhalH

I can definitely understand the frustration here. This issue started at 14.11 EDT and a fix was implemented 1 hour and 34 minutes later at 15.45 EDT. The issue was marked as fully resolved just over 15 minutes later at 16.01 EDT. The whole issue lasted less than two hours, which can be seen on our status page

02-14-248qc-xa6jp

This was mainly a display error, so it looked like payments could not be processed. However, if credit card details were added, the payments were still being processed. Are you still seeing errors like this on your site?

Ava

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi, I'm experiencing this issue right now. clients trying to checkout and being unable to process.. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
794 41 122

Hi, @Artoramashop!

I'm sorry to hear you are seeing issues with the checkout. Could you share a link to your store so I can test this out? I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this for you!

Speak soon,

Ava

Social Care

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Im having this same issue right now at mysteryanime.com @Ava can you help?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
794 41 122

Hi, @MysteryAnime!

Thanks for the flag here. I've tested out your website and I can't seem to replicate the error, I can see the option to enter credit card details once I reach the final stage of the checkout:

27-43-02pe5-jo61i

Can you see no option for credit cards from your view? Or is this something that your customers have reported to you? If you had any screenshots, or even a time/date from when the customer saw this error, that would be great! You can also check the abandoned cart section of the Orders tab in the admin, this will let you click on individual orders to see if there are any error messages with payment. 

Let me know if you can see any errors in the abandoned cart section, or if you have any screenshots from your end. Happy to dig into this further for you!

Ava
Social Care | help.shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

I think it's a payment issue my shopify has had my old bank account and paypal wasnt registered. I talked to someone and they said they were going to have whoever deals with payments help me. I'm not sure if its checkout or what, i just look at luckyorange reports and stats and it's all messed up

@Ava wrote:

Hi, @MysteryAnime!

Thanks for the flag here. I've tested out your website and I can't seem to replicate the error, I can see the option to enter credit card details once I reach the final stage of the checkout:

27-43-02pe5-jo61i

Can you see no option for credit cards from your view? Or is this something that your customers have reported to you? If you had any screenshots, or even a time/date from when the customer saw this error, that would be great! You can also check the abandoned cart section of the Orders tab in the admin, this will let you click on individual orders to see if there are any error messages with payment. 

Let me know if you can see any errors in the abandoned cart section, or if you have any screenshots from your end. Happy to dig into this further for you!

Ava

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

it seems they arent able to click some things and could be shipping too i dont even know at this point

@MysteryAnime wrote:

I think it's a payment issue my shopify has had my old bank account and paypal wasnt registered. I talked to someone and they said they were going to have whoever deals with payments help me. I'm not sure if its checkout or what, i just look at luckyorange reports and stats and it's all messed up

@Ava wrote:

Hi, @MysteryAnime!

27-43-02pe5-jo61i

Ava

0 Likes