Customers only using Paypal and Paypal Express

Highlighted
1 0 0

Is this normal? I have set up Shopify payments but all of my customers are using Paypal. I remember Paypal as being a barrier to sales almost, but now everyone is using it over the basic credit card form. Could something be wrong with my payment set-up, forcing them to use Paypal?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
182 0 11

Hi Michael, 

I'm Yasmin from Shopify Support :)

I checked your store and Shopify Payments is working correctly, I think your customers just prefer PayPal. Usually this is because customers have their credit card information saved on PayPal and find it more convenient to log into the account instead of filling out the credit card field. 

You can also test Shopify Payments if you want to see that it's working correctly! Here's how: https://help.shopify.com/manual/payment-settings/shopify-payments/testing-shopify-payments

Hope this helps! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

I personally think that it's that big paypal button they see first and think they have no other option but to use paypal.

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
52 0 12

Yes, that massive ugly paypal button at the very start of checkout.... I just deactivated paypal as a payment method for that reason. Two years of taking paypal without a problem - the button was logically placed next to other credit card methods (around 40% of my customers used it) but now I have to stop because Shopify won't allow us to hide that massive button at the top of the checkout. Poor flow and a low-class checkout isn't on my wishlist. A big shame.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

I tried to see if there was an option atleast to chage the yellow to match up with the body bg color of my website but no luck. If we want to use Paypal as payment method and at that cost display Paypal at the checkout page, then atleast give us the option to change the yellow to atleast match our website's body bg color so that it "hides" a bit. And on that note, Shopify, has anyone resolved customers skipping out on shipping when they use Paypal?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
25 0 5

I do wish people would stop blaming Shopify for the button and it's position in the checkout flow. Have a read of the PayPal express agreement that you signed up to when opening a PayPal account. It's PayPal who stipulate what the button looks like and where it appears not Shopify.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
182 0 11

Hi guys! 

As a couple of people here have mentioned it's not currently possible to move the PayPal button or change its appearance, but customers selecting PayPal should not be able to skip shipping rates. Please contact support if this happens and we will take a look at those orders :) 

Thanks! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
52 0 12

BigAyd, you aren't giving a solution here.

Paypal Pro can't be used with Stripe or Shopify Payments. 

Most merchants only want Paypal as an option. Merchants paying more on the Advanced/Pro Shopify package can customise their checkout to put the paypal express button wherever they want. So your argument doesn't have any validity. 

I'm curious about your store. Can you post it and I'd like to see how your checkout is working. You are the only happy merchant I've come across who doesn't mind confusing customers into thinking Paypal is the only payment option available and leaving before seeing shipping/being able to apply a discount code - returning afterwards to see an increased price with shipping....

Please post. Who are these customers??

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

This thread is 3 years old, but I wanted to put this here so that people understand why it is the way that it is. @BigAyd is completely correct about why the buttons appear the way that they do. This is from PayPal's "User Interface Requirements":

The PayPal checkout button should be:

• Clickable
  • Appear right below or next to each of your own cart's checkout buttons
  • Appear before your website collects any billing or shipping details and before any other payment
  • Vertically or horizontally aligned with your own buttons

However, while that does explain the placement of the button, that doesn't excuse the extremely confusing and unclear layout of the page.

As of today, this is what the page looks like when you have Shopify Payments and PayPal enabled. The "OR" wording is nearly invisible.

checkout-buttons.png

This could be made more clear in a number of ways, the simplest being an explanatory sentence instead of a single, tiny "OR". Something along the lines of "To check out, you may either use one of the express checkout options above or enter your information below to pay by credit or debit card." Obviously the wording would need to change based on the available/enabled options.

Something needs to be changed, because at this point, it is extremely confusing. Considering the fact that I am replying to a 3 year old post, and that there is no shortage of forum threads and websites out there discussing this, it's pretty obvious that Shopify doesn't consider it to be a problem and has no intention of fixing it. The only solution is to disable PayPal, which I'm pretty sure PayPal would love to prevent from happening.

1 Like