Customers payments being declined

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi there can anyone help i opened my store a little over a week ago and it has had alot of traffic but no sale just abandoned carts due to customers not able to make payments. This is really frustrating because i could have had upto 15 sales in my first week but getting nowhere with declined payments can anyone help. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
687 51 152

Hey, @Greg-1!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

First off, congratulations on launching your store. It's great to hear that you're getting a lot of traffic, and while abandoned carts are to be expected with any e-commerce store, there may be a few factors at play if your customers are all experiencing payment issues.

Typically, payment issues are related to either the payment gateway you're using, or a problem with the cardholder's bank. Which payment gateway are you using? If you are using a third-party gateway, you'll just need to make sure that your account with your payment provider is fully configured to accept payments. If you're using Shopify Payments, then you will already be capable of accepting payments but you will want to ensure that you are not currently in Test Mode.

If your payment gateway is properly configured, then I recommend viewing the payment events for each abandoned checkout to gather more information about why the payment didn't go through. You can do this by heading to Orders > Abandoned checkouts and selecting one of the abandoned checkouts. If a payment was attempted, you will see the details in the History section on the abandoned checkout page. Clicking on that will provide you with the payment error code. If the error simply says "card_declined", then it's safe to say that there is an issue with the customer's bank. 

If you are using Shopify Payments, I also recommend checking out the Shopify Payments FAQ. There, you'll learn more about common reasons for declined payments, along with how you can find out more information about the decline and how you can decrease the likelihood of a card being declined. For example, something as simple as collecting the CVV in the checkout can significantly improve your decline rates. If you’re not collecting CVVs and you’re having issues with declines, then requiring the CVV can often be a quick fix.

If you're using Shopify Payments, are your settings set to decline charges that fail CVV verification? If you're not using Shopify Payments, which payment gateway are you using? Have you had any successful transactions since this post? Feel free to respond here and let me know; I'd be happy to offer some further guidance.

Since you've recently launched your store, I also wanted to pass along our guide, How to Get Your First Sale in 30 Days: A Marketing Checklist for New Entrepreneurs. There's a ton of great marketing advice in there to help you promote your business and generate sales. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hello- I am having a similar problem. Two customers have reported issues with payments. Both say that at checkout, they were either unable to enter cvv code, or checkout would not accept cvv code. I went through the steps you listed, but do not see the attempted details or an option to see the "History" of an attempted payment. Both attempted payments, but I don't see that information on my end. Any suggestions for how to fix this?

Store is: betinaroza.com

Atlantic theme.

Thank you!

Erin

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
687 51 152

Hey, @betinaroza!

Thanks for joining in on the conversation. 

Do you see those attempted orders in your Abandoned checkouts, or are they missing entirely? Also, which payment gateway are you using and have you been able to process payments successfully in the past? Are you requiring customers to enter their CVV code

If these two orders are in your abandoned checkouts, but you don't see any payment events in your order timeline, then this would typically indicate that your customers weren't able to try processing their payment and exited the checkout prior to this step. Did they mention if they were trying to use another payment method, like PayPal, for example? Did they also mention exactly what the error message said, and did they try using different cards? 

With a bit more information about both of these transactions, I'll be able to offer some troubleshooting steps.

Looking forward to your response!

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Julie- Thanks for the response!

Yes I can see the orders in Abandoned checkouts, but no details on attempted payments.

I am using Shopify Payments, and Paypal. Both attempts were with a credit card.

I have been able to receive payments successfully in the past, and other customers report no issues.

I am requiring CVV code at checkout.

Both customers indicated to me that they made it all the way through checkout, but that the system wold not allow them to input their CVV code. I am not sure if this means the code was rejected or they were just unable to enter it. Both attempts were with a credit card, not PayPal. I did not get specific information from them regarding the error message.

Hope this is enough info to figure it out!

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
687 51 152

Thanks for following up, @betinaroza! I appreciate the additional information. 

Upon checking in with my Shopify Payments team, they've let me know that without any payment details for these abandoned checkouts, it would be really difficult to determine exactly where the issue is coming from. 

At this point, it would be helpful if you could get in touch with your customers to find out if they received an error message, and, if so, what the error message said. It would also be great if we could gather information about the type of credit card they were using. 

Typically, a CVV issue would indicate that the attempted transaction did not pass our fraud filters, and was therefore declined. It's also worth noting that some banks do not support AVS or CVV security checks. If this applies to your customer, then this could be why the payment wasn't completed. Given the fact that other payments are being processed as per usual, it sounds like this may be the case. We actually have a help doc on some things to look out for if you suspect an order is suspicious. Was there anything else about the attempted transaction that seemed unusual?

If you are able to gather further information from your customers, that would be super helpful! If you aren't able to do so, then the next time this occurs, I would recommend asking your customer if they received an error message and what that said, along with their card type. This should help us pinpoint the issue. 

0 Likes