Customers report unauthorized transactions after they shop with me

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hello everybody,

Two of my customers reported unauthorized transactions after they have purchased something in my store. 

The first customer did get a second amount charged with my name on it after they have purchased from my shop but they only bought one item and i didn't make any other charges either. The second customer reported that he got charges (from stores in the US), after he has purchased from my shop, that he didn't take. For the second case it is not sure if it is because of my store but i'm still very concerned about this.

Both buyers are Americans and purchased with their credit card. Does anybody know more about this and is there anything i can do to prevent this? 

Thank you for your help :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
288 32 43

Hi, @moonstore !

Thanks for reaching out about this. I'd be happy to investigate it further with you. This could be a few things, does your store use manual payment capture? If the order has been authorized and then captured, it could appear to the customer that they've been charged twice but in actuality it's an authorization and then the actual funds are processed.

I'd recommend searching the customers name and determining first if there are actually two orders placed. From there, if there are none look in the order timeline to see if we can determine why it may appear there are multiple charges. I'd also recommend having the customer provide you with the order indicator's on their bank statement. It will help you track down more information about the charges.

If you're still unsure, let me know. I'd be happy to move this conversation to email where we can continue our dialogue and can discuss the more sensitive details at length.

Oliver | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hey Oliver!

transactions are captured automatically on my shop. Also she only placed one order and the second amount that she got charged was completely different than the one from her actual order.

I also noticed that i get a lot of abandoned carts because the credit cards of my customers get declined. I was thinking maybe it is because customers (like her) report the second transaction to their bank?

I would be really happy to get more help on this. How can i contact you?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
288 32 43

@moonstore 

Thanks for the context. I've sent an email to the email address listed on your Community account. If you wouldn't mind responding to me with answers to some of the questions I have there, we can get you authenticated and take a look into this together.

Hope to hear from you soon!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

@Oliver I am having similar issue...

Curstomer reports they placed order on a new credit card they just received.  First purchase made at our store, then a transaction appears for a rando amount that the custoemr did not make.  Customer states there have been no other transactions on the card but the purchase with our shop.

I'm concerned about this.  Can you provide some guidance on how I might assist the customer on trackign this down.. and verifying that it is not somethign coming from our site?

Thanks! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
288 32 43

Hi, @gtrew !

I'd be happy to look into this with you. There could be a couple of things occurring here. First, have you confirmed the order details with the customer? If so, you can cross reference what they've ordered with what they paid to determine if everything is correct. You can also add those same items to your cart to recreate the order. It's possible there's some kind of mixup here.

The second thing to look into is whether you and the customer use the same currency. If the customer used a credit card in a different currency that your shop, they'll see the converted charge on their bank statements.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes