Customers want to keep credit card on file...

themandril
Tourist
5 0 6

I have seen many complaints about this, and maybe we didn't do enough homework before getting deep into Shopify. I have heard that there is a plugin or service that allows you to keep CC on file as for some reason Shopify doesn't allow it. We have a large customer base that just says ship me these items and use my card on file. This is easy using MindBody, but since it has many other flaws and we are moving away from it for product sales and inventory control, we need a solution. It seems that Shopify is perfect for us except for this one thing that we must have, it's just a deal killer. Anybody have any info on where and how to make that work? 

0 Likes
Savannah_F
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
537 0 92

Hey there!

Savannah here from Shopify. :) 

I can totally see why keeping card numbers on file would be helpful for your customers and for your sales. Unfortunately, that's just not possible within Shopify's admin. We don't store credit card numbers in order to remain PCI Compliant

That said, you can certainly use an app and get creative. I'd recommend checking out:

I know those aren't picture perfect solutions - I'm afraid there's nothing that does exactly what you're asking quite yet. In the meantime, you can also send an invoice to your customers, which is the next best thing. 

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Savannah | Social Care
support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Marla-WCF
1 0 2

Is it still the case that Shopify will not store credit card info for wholesalers to charge orders when they are shipped?

Natasha_Evans
2 0 2

I'd like to know if this has issue has been addressed yet. We love using shopify but have to keep a separate database in order to store credit cards and it's super annoying. Also while we're at it, can we get something to merge customer accounts please? Square's had it for years now.

jmcdowell
Tourist
3 0 1

@Natasha_Evans what's your workaround? we're in the same boat. Super annoying that Shopify doesn't have the option to store cards for clients who want it! 

0 Likes
Natasha_Evans
2 0 2
We use our merchant, authorize.net to store information. It links to
Shopify along with PayPal. Either of those work but authorize.net has a
better subscription option.
0 Likes
jacksal25
1 0 0

I have authorize.net so shopify sends auth.net credit card on file well do you know which to chose store on file.

0 Likes
kirkwilder
Tourist
3 0 4

but you store our credit cards to pay the services we purchase from you?