My store offers shippable products (chocolate) and pick up only products (pastry).
Despite offering content to customers showing which products can be shipped v pick up, naturally customers add a lemon meringue tart to basket and expect it to be shipped 5 days across the country and arrive in one piece and safe to eat
ATTEMPTED FIX: After some advice from another store owner, I set up a new location for pick up only products, made sure it didn't offer shipping and assigned relevant products to this category. That all appears to be working to restrict shipping of those products which is fab.
ISSUE: now when people add both chocolate (shippable) and pastry (not shippable) to cart and start check out, they get a standard error saying we don't ship to their area, which isn't entirely correct.
They're then abandoning the whole cart, rather than understanding they just need to remove the pastry items.
Is there a way I can address this through a tailored message? I'm reasonable with adjusting the liquid code if I know which area to look. I haven't been able to find the error text in the code when searching so far.
Does anyone have any tips?
I'm open to an app to do something like split the cart into shippable non shippable, but I expect this isn't possible as I understand Shopify doesn't allow app to adjust the check out process.
Can a developer do this where an app can't?
How can I restrict shipping for some products, while offering shipping for others? Current location based solution doesn't address carts with a combination of product types, leading to abandoned carts.
Solved! Go to the solution
This is an accepted solution.
Dear Lisarm, and shopify community,
thanks a lot. This was very helpful. I do have a similar situation for a bakery:
1. All products are available for pick-up and local delivery
2. Some of these products are additionally available for delivery (the ones which stay fresh for a longer period)
- Two locations: 1. Pickup and Local Delivery / 2. Delivery
- Local Delivery and Pickup enabled (Shopify standard)
- Two delivery profiles: 1. for Pickup and Local Delivery products / 2. for Delivery products
- I cannot map one single product with 2 delivery profiles at once!
- Unfortunately, most of my products can be delivered AND picked-up/locally delivered
Do you have any recommendations on how to configure this requirement?
Thanks in advance,
This is an accepted solution.
It sounds like the identical set up to mine (we ship chocolate and cookies, then offer pick up for chocolate, cookies and other pastry).
You'll want to:
1. For the online delivery products, add both shipping locations to the products
2. For the pick up only products, add just the one location
3. Then set a shipping fulfilment priority of fulfilling from online first, then pick up
Those steps gave me the right logic, then adjusting the language settings gave me the right customer messages.
Hope that helps