Default Payment Method

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

Hi Everyone

Can someone please help me to change the default selected payment method?

Default selected payment method on my store is Paypal but i want to change the default to be selected as Bank Deposit on chekout.

Cheers

Kanwal

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
6 0 2

Hi Kanwal,

Our checkout is not customizable and you cannot change the default setting or the order of the payment options.

I would suggest disabling PayPal if you do not want to be using that gateway. If you are still looking to have that gateway as an option then that is the order that they will appear in.

Cheers,
Tessa

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

Thats Sad. But thanks for the quick reply. I want to keep pay pal as well.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Hi Tessa, 

Is there a way to incentivse customers to use a certain payement gatway? in form of % discount?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
209 1 25

Hi Scott, 

Jamie here from Shopify. We do not currently offer the means to charge a different rate based on the gateway chosen at this time. 

All the best,

Jamie | support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi, any update on this? I want that feature also, I think it's very useful. Paypal adds an extra charge to the price of the product, so I don't want that thing by default.

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 1

I completely agree.  My guess is that this benefits Shopify fiscally.  I'm sure they have an incentive set up with PayPal to default to that payment gateway.  Why would we not otherwise have the option to set our own default payment gateway? It is OUR account, our products, our business, and our customers, after all.  This is a real problem - and Shopify, if this is the case, please think about the end user experience and your customers before putting your own financial interests before ours.  Please advise if this is NOT the case, and if it is not the case then you are simply CHOOSING to not implement this - but my guess is the fiscal benefit is the real reason.

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 1

Why?  This deserves more explanation. Is it a fiscal benefit you receive from PayPal to default to the gateways in the order that you do?  If not, then why wouldn't we have the option to choose?  You certainly have the technical means - so it's either that you are benefitted fiscally by not allowing this OR you are choosing to not implement the change - either way is problematic.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
11 0 11

I second this.  I want Paypal as an 'option' but by no means do I want it as the default.  I want to set Shopify Pay as the default payment method. Please help.  Seems quite silly to force merchants' to either have Paypal as default or nothing at all.  

0 Likes