Default shipping change

Shopify Partner
6 0 5

Seriously when is this going to be fixed, it is embarrassing having to explain to my customers that I cannot make this change. They find it extremely irritating to have to constantly contact customers to ask for them to pay for shipping. Surely this is an easy fix to allow admins to select a default shipping method.

I'd recommend everyone on this thread send an email to support@shopify.com to request they make this change.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
6 0 5

Here is the brush off response from Shopify:

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and for providing us with your feedback. This is certainly not the first time that I've heard this request from our merchants, and I do understand how important and beneficial it would be to businesses operating on our platform.

While I cannot speak on a timeline for this, or if it's in the pipeline - I can definitely get your feedback up to our product and development team to provide them with the difficulties you're facing. In addition to making another feature request.

--

Looks like they have no intention of sorting it out any time soon. Thanks for the support Shopify! 

1 Like
1 0 0

Has anyone had any luck creating a new shipping zone?   I wanted to create a zone exclusively for my state that offers local pick-up, but when I go to create a shipping zone and add USA as the country it says it is already in use in another shipping zone, and won't let me add it.  This seems so simple...gotta be fixed by shopify.

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 4

From the Shipping menu, select Edit beside your existing Shipping Zone. You should then see United States under countries, select Edit. Uncheck every state except your local state. Save and then back on the main Shipping menu select Add shipping Zone, then add country, Edit, select all state (except local). Then edit each shipping zone independently to have the options you'd like to offer

1 Like
Shopify Partner
6 0 5

Screen-shot.png

To illustrate the pain my client feels with this, they have 3 available pickup locations, they want Standard Shipping to be selected by default. Even the 3 pick up locations cannot be ordered and default to the smallest location. 

Their latest email to me about this (I've changed identifying details):

If you have a look at the attached screenshot when people get to the shipping section is just defaults to Free shipping at Location 1 and we are getting people just see FREE and finalise the order and then get the sh**s when we tell them that its not free and also they didn’t know they had selected Location 1 in-store pickup.

What I was thinking a solution might be is to put the Standard Shipping as the first line item and also as the default and then have the 3 in-store options below. The wording for the in-store options also needs to be “IN-STORE pickup from Location 2 store” and then two more for Location 1 and Location 3.

I have to reply that, I agree that would be great but Shopify (the platform that you are paying for that I recommended to you) does not allow you to set a default shipping option or set the order of the options. This is despite the fact they have been asked for this feature for a number of years still refuse to make this simple change. Perhaps I should also add in my reply that maybe in the next update we should look at alternate ecommerce platforms that can help him run his business rather than make it more difficult.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
8 0 3

Hey David,

Sam here from Zapiet, one of the team behind the Store Pickup + Delivery app! We actually have a feature called our 'Rates' engine that will provide the correct shipping rate to the checkout, based on the selection that the customer chose on the cart page! Aka all your unnecessary rates won't show and the customer is only shown the one rate that is correct for them! You are correct Shopify does not have this option at the moment and currently defaults to showing the 'cheapest' rate first! That being said in order for this to work, due to the restrictions on accessing Shopify's checkout your merchant's store will need access to something called Carrier Calculated Shipping, available on the Advanced Plans and above, or on all other plans for a $20/month supplement!

It sounds like you already have a route you want to take but just wanted to make sure you know it is possible to do on Shopify but not natively using its built-in settings!

Have a super awesome day!

Thanks,

Sam

Zapiet builds industry-leading pickup and delivery apps empowering 3000+ Shopify merchants in over 80 countries!
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
5 0 9

This is crazy. A simple 'Default' radio button beside each method wouldn't be much to ask for!

My client is having ridiculous trouble with people not changing it and just assuming the default. Which in this case is collection from their shop.

The effort of then manually taking shipping payment and getting in contact is mad. Its costing about 20 orders a day at the moment, and someone several hours. 

Please fix this! It's mad. 

3 Likes
5 0 0

Has anyone explored using scripts to reorganise shipping options in the same way as payment gateways are reorganised in this example https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/apps/apps-by-shopify/script-editor/examples#percentage-off-all-sh...

I know this is only relevant for Plus merchants but wanted to see if anyone has used it. 

0 Likes
1 0 1

Hello Don, 

I am also interested in this feature.

Is there a place we can check the status of this feature request?

I have encounter this request in every store i helped developed.

Please advise.

Itay

1 Like
1 0 0

Thanks, Walker! This will at least cut down on the out of staters.

@Walker_Edwards wrote:

From the Shipping menu, select Edit beside your existing Shipping Zone. You should then see United States under countries, select Edit. Uncheck every state except your local state. Save and then back on the main Shipping menu select Add shipping Zone, then add country, Edit, select all state (except local). Then edit each shipping zone independently to have the options you'd like to offer

0 Likes