Deferred Payment

Highlighted
4 0 0

We are based in New Zealand and import all products from Germany. Apart from the stock items, we want to offer our customers an option to order non-stock items. To do so, we need a minimum order quantity with our supplier.

That is what we want to achieve: We setup a pre-order section with specific products in our shop. Customers can order any item and they have to put in their credit card details. We charge NZD 1.00 to verify whether the CC is valid (I think there is no other way to validate a CC). Only once the order quantity for our supplier is reached, we charge our customer the full amount (less the NZD 1.00). If the minimum order quantity will not be reached, the NZD 1.00 will be refunded to the customer.

We are looking for an app which does the above (stores CC details safely for future use). Any suggestions? Or any suggestions to handle the above in another way?

Thanks in advance for a feedback!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
816 50 103

Hi there!

Don here from Shopify!

There are a few apps out there that handle deferred payment for orders that might help you out here.

As there are a few of these and they offer slightly different functionalities I will list them here and you can check each of them out for yourself in more depth to see what might suit your business needs. :)

As with any apps in our store, these are created and supported by their developers; meaning you can reach out to them directly with any queries you have on their apps. :)

You can use the email address or contact form on any app store page and it looks like some of these also provide a phone number you can use to get in touch!

I trust you will find a workable solution for your store from the above options. :)

All the best!

Regards,
Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Don,

thanks for your reply - but that's not what we want. (We already use Laybuy btw.).

We only want to charge the customer when the order becomes valid (reached the minimum order quantity with our supplier), but we need to verify the CC upfront in some way (I still think the only option is to charge a minimum amount to the CC and see whether the transaction goes through).

We need this "commitment" from the customer to be on the safe side. We do not want tho chase any customer for the payment of the full amount once it comes to an active order.

Holger

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

I have this same question. We will take pre-orders, but not charge anyone until we have taken X total orders. Lots of online stores take pre-orders and don't charge until the product ships - surely there has to be a way to do this in the store without a $50/month plug-in.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

A number of years ago I did this via:

• Tech
    •  Wordpress
      • eCom: Woocommerce
        • Payment Gateway: Authorize CIM
  • The Flow (It was a repair shop)
    • Customer pays shipping up front (This gets them into the Auth CIM and CC data saved safely in a PCI compliant location)
      • Item shipped to Business
        • Item repaired (cost changes depending)
          • Manually :( someone would need to update the Order within the Woo CMS after the pair with the final price
            • Automated emails sent to customer with final price of their repair
            • Items shipped back to customer
          • Thus the Woo database was the end-all for the data which piped into the accounting software

It sounds like this would work in Shopify, but it's sloppy.  We need a better solution!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

Thanks for the reply. Charging customers, even a small amount, means I'd have to refund them if the pre-order is unsuccessful, but that's certainly an option.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

APE - I looked into every possible way to do this back then (2015), and using the Auth CIM with a small initial charge was the way to go w/o any doubt.

I'm positive there's something better now, but I have no clue what/how.

0 Likes