Delete/edit product "Types"

Jesus_Izquierdo
3 0 4

Hello can anybody tell me how can I delete or edit product "types". Isee how to create new types but cannot find any way to edit or delete. Thanks in advance.

Jamie
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
5711 0 152

Hi Jesus! Product types cannot be outright deleted. It would 'orphan' products and leave them with no product type (not allowed) You would need to change the product types of the products in question. When there are no more products with that product type it will simply go away.

http://shopifyplus.com ::: http://twitter.com/bacchus
StridePH
1 0 4

I've made sure there are no orphans. How do I delete unused product type so staff adding new products don't mis-classify.  Thanks

Jimmysixe
Tourist
3 1 7

I would like to know this too as mine simply DID NOT GO AWAY!

cambrianphoto
1 0 5

I would also like to know this. 

thank you

DaisyMae
Tourist
3 0 2

This is a big problem when dispatching product upload tasks to others and they are inputting tags and product types.  When a tag or product type, that was for example a typo, is mistakenly chosen, the product does not auto populate to its store collection and is not showing live.  There needs to be a "clear text" only way to delete the text in: tags, product type and collections without it affecting the products already uploaded with those keywords in those fields.  At this point, Shopify just told me it is not possible but they are sending a ticket to look into this.  Well the first ticket on this was in 2013 and this is 2020.  It's a big problem for stores with a lot of products.  

Scruff_PRSC
7 0 0

did you find a solution to this? I also have some old, empty Product Types that aren't automatically deleting, and it's messing with new product uploads.

0 Likes
DaisyMae
Tourist
3 0 2
Hello,

So far on a phone session with a technical rep., the conclusion is that
Shopify's platform is incapable of removing tags, product types text etc.
by simply clearing them from these drop downs in the Organization field.
They cannot be removed; a nightmare when you have over 600 products.
0 Likes
Scruff_PRSC
7 0 0
and when your collections are based on type and you have multiple people
adding products then getting in a flap because it's not showing up!
frustrating that you cannot even remove them manually, since all the
support docs i can find say it should happen automatically
0 Likes
DaisyMae
Tourist
3 0 2
Right and it really should be removed automatically with an option to save
the ones you choose to. Shopify is too big of a platform/brand to have
this going on for this long. It is a serious systemic flaw.
0 Likes