Deleting false, fraudulent or test orders.

Shopify Partner
39 0 5

Hi. Been with Shopify for a few months and I've built up 18 orders that are either test order, attempted fraud or cancelled orders. These are skewing my sales figures and products sold figures.

How do you get rid of them?????

Definition of Rugby - Do your best to kill the opponent with the ball then buy him a beer afterwards.
0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
242 8 24

Hi there,

Freddie here from the Shopify Support team, happy to help.

It's not actually possible to delete orders that were refunded or cancelled, or ones with attempted fraud that have been cancelled. Deleting an order will remove any record of it from your Shopify admin and your order history. There are a few exceptions to this, as only the following types of orders can in fact be deleted:

• orders that were paid with a manual payment method
  • orders that started as a draft and were then marked as paid
  • orders that were imported through the Shopify API
  • test orders

To delete an order that falls under these criteas, you will want to go into your Orders section, and click into the order you wish to delete. Once in here, scroll down to the bottom of the page until you see the red Delete button.

What you can do for the other orders, is you can at least archive them. This will remove their notification from the Orders view in your sidebar in your admin, and will display the orders greyed out beside your active orders. To archive these orders, you can select them in bulk on the Orders page by clicking the boxes beside the orders to select them, and clicking on Actions > Archive.

I hope this information is helpful! Feel free to leave another comment and let me know if you have any further questions that I can help you out with.

Best regards,

Freddie
Shopify Support - support@shopify.com

Freddie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
39 0 5

I think that is ridiculous.

There are many abandoned checkouts where all the persons details are stored in my admin area. I have no reason to retain these and I'm sure (haven't checked this legally) that If a person asked me to delete his records under GDPR regulations I would be unable to do so. A normal order may be retained for records and warranty reasons but I will have no reason to retain an abandoned order.

I notice I may delete his entry in the customer list but that does not affect anything in the Abandoned Order list.

What is your opinion?

Definition of Rugby - Do your best to kill the opponent with the ball then buy him a beer afterwards.
0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
242 8 24

If a customer reaches out to you requesting to have their information deleted and removed from your store, you are still certainly able to do so in order to comply with the GDPR Regulations. If a customer reaches out to you with this request, here are the steps you can take:

• Go into their Customer Profile - you can go into your Customers section of your admin and search their name to pull up their profile, or you can easily access this through the order (even an abandoned checkout order,) by clicking on their customer name within the order on the right hand side.
  • Once you're in here, if you scroll down, you will see the Customer privacy section on the right hand side, where you can either send a customer a copy of all of the information of theirs that is held by your store, and you can also select to remove their personal data from your store completely. Here's what it will look like:
  • In the case where the customer requests for you to delete their information, you'd want to click on Remove personal data.

We have full information on this, right here for you.

Let me know if this helps.

Best regards,

Freddie
Shopify Support - support@shopify.com

0 Likes
2 0 1

More to the point of the OPs question... there's no way to delete orders or at least prevent them from affecting your sales numbers?

Yesterday, we show sales of -$64.35 because we sent several test orders through. Our actual sales were $62.68 when you remove the test orders.

I would prefer accurate sales stats. Is there any way to remove the test orders?

Thanks,

Rick

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
242 8 24

Hi, @rickdeet!

Test orders are still able to be deleted, precisely for this reason. The following types of orders can be deleted:

If you made the test orders with the testing payment gateway or your gateway in test mode, you would just need to click into the archived/cancelled test order and scroll down to the bottom where you see "Delete this order." Once the orders are deleted, it will remove any record of it from your admin and order history.

Let me know if this helps!

Freddie

0 Likes
2 0 1

That's exactly what I needed. Thanks!

1 Like