Delimas of Qualifying for Shopify Payments or Alternative Payment Gateway

Highlighted
2 0 0

I am a digital nomad and am having challenges with my goal of setting up a shopify store and being able to receive sales. 

I am a US citizen though located now in AUS. I have a US LLC that I have not been using, though I don't have any bank accounts anymore in the US. So that LLC is not much use to me without a US bank account for it to receive payments to. And you can't open a US bank online. 

I have AUS personal bank accounts. Though I can't register a business in AUS to get an AUS ABN as that requires a work visa etc. 

If I could use my US LLC or US SSN with my AUS bank account to receive the payments I would be fine, though this is not allowed. 

I cannot open a new US bank account until I could travel there in person to do so, which won't be until next year. And Shopify payments does not accept online virtual banks to receive payments. Shopify payments also says you have to physically be located in the US yourself to qualify, not only your business or tax registered there. So basically Shopify is anti digital nomads. 

I am at a loss at what my options could be to launch my store! I was ready to start it ASAP and timing is so important here.  

I would have similar issues with paypal and paypal would hold all payments of a brand new seller for ages! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

hi, 
Shopify Payments is not available in my country, Czech Republic. So I opened a Stripe account which was quite easy. Stripe does allow payments to some virtual accounts. So I opened a Transferwise account in US dollars (it has a US address too). Maybe you could try that.

I don't know for sure, but I read that Shopify Payments actually uses Stripe as its payment provider, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't allow virtual bank accounts when Stripe does. The disadvantage of Stripe, it for low transactions there are both Shopify and Stripe fees to pay. But in my country there is no choice.

Doug

Highlighted
2 0 0

Thanks Doug! Yeh I had wanted to avoid the extra cost of using an alternative processor though I'll give Stripe a try and see if I get accepted. I heard payoneer sometimes works with Stripe. I had assumed Stripe would have the same rule since they run both of them, though glad to hear they are more flexible. 

0 Likes