Delivery by Myself

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hey Everyone,

I would like to deliver my products to my local area by myself rather than using a shipping company. Order fulfilment is all good, but I can't find how to mark at item at delivered once I deliver it. 

There are literally no options and I'm pulling my hair out!

This might seem odd as its one of the best things about Shopify, but we are starting small so just wanted to deliver myself first. 

Please help!

thanks,

Rob

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3073 231 503

Hi @robward10,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Good question! There is no "Delivered" option per se for Cash on Delivery (COD) orders. When you click or mark an order as "Fulfilled" or mark it as "Paid" (which only comes up for COD orders) and because the premise of cash on delivery is an in-person cash pickup, when you mark the order as paid, the system would register it as delivered. 

Shopify has a helpful guide about this where you can read the section on marking a COD order as paid here. I also took a screenshot of how this might look for you below:

14-14-z9f6x-uod9k

I hope this helps and answers your question for you. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Thanks Nick!

I'm intending to still use Shopify's payment gateways so customers can check out online.

Rather than COD I just want to be my own delivery service if that makes sense.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3073 231 503

No problem @robward10.

Using one of the online gateways and COD wouldn't be a problem here. COD would essentially be you delivering the product yourself as your own delivery service as it would still require you to deliver the product. For example, you can have the COD gateway set up and have a small note for the customer making them aware that this is available to them in certain zip codes. I took a screenshot of an example of how it might look which you can see below. 

15-53-oykr9-lzxv7

Do you think this would work for you? If not, would you be able to elaborate a little more on exactly what you're looking to do and we can take another look at some possibilities. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hey @Nick,

Understand the solution but not sure it fits what I'm trying to do and could be overcomplicating it.

I have inventory that I want to deliver using my own car to customers who have purchased my product online. I want them to be able to checkout with their credit card / Paypal (rather than COD) and then for me to deliver the product to them.

Basically, my main problem is that once I have fulfilled the item (which in my logic would be pick packing a box. That is the end of the process... I want another button which tells the customer I have delivered the order - this is necessary as I want them to have the option to have it left at their front door if they are not home.

Hopefully that's enough detail. 

Really appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Rob

1 Like
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3073 231 503

Hey @robward10,

Thanks for the extra information. Something to remember is that "fulfilled item" means the product has been sent out to be shipped. 

If you're not sure COD would be enough for you which would be the best native Shopify option, it might be worth looking into some apps from the Shopify App Store. There was one app which came to my mind straight away called Local Delivery.

Local Delivery lets you set specific Delivery Dates/ Time requests as well as customized text to the local delivery section of the cart page. For example, you could specify that your store delivers within a 5-mile radius of Woolloomooloo, NSW. Something else which I thought you might find useful is a delivery offset time feature. This lets you specify the minimum amount of time between ordering and delivery. For example, specify a minimum of two hours between ordering and delivery or specify next day delivery. This way you can make sure the person you are delivering to is at home when you set out to deliver the product. 

Another app which came to mind for this, which might also work is Better Shipping. I think Local Delivery would be a better fit for what you're looking for personally. 

Hopefully one of these can do what you're looking for. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
17 1 4

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @robward10 ,

This thread was from about a year ago, but thought I'd chime in to let you know about Localivery, an app that let's you set your orders as delivered.

After you fulfill an order, you can use the app to set it's status to "Out for delivery" and finally to "Delivered" once it's delivered.

Setting these statuses in Localivery triggers the built in Shopify notification emails. It also integrates directly with the Orders page to update your customers of the statuses.

That means you can customize the email notifications for each status directly within the Shopify Admin.

It also tags your orders with "delivered" or "out for delivery" so you can see them directly in your Shopify Admin, under Orders.

screenshot-protoploy.myshopify.com-2020.05.12-21-18-24.png

Check out this video demo to see it in action:

And it works well within the Shopify mobile app too, so you can set it to "Delivered" right when you leave orders in your customers mailbox!

Check out the mobile demo below. It shows email notifications that get sent as well:

Let me know if I can answer any questions! Happy to receive feedback - really hope to help those using local carriers / doing their own deliveries.

- Tom

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0
This is exactly what I've been looking for! Thank you!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
17 1 4

@RGSLady My absolutely pleasure!

Feel free to email or message me if you have any questions!

0 Likes