Different Package Sizes for Different Quantities?

Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm new to Shopify, and I'm trying to use different shipping packaging for different quantities of my product.

Here are some details on how I want to ship my product:

• An order with a quantity of 1 ships in a small padded envelope.
  • Quantities 2 or 3 go in a larger padded envelope that weighs more.
  • 4 - 6 go in a small cardboard box.
  • 7 - 12 go in a larger cardboard box that weighs more.

I've set up the different "package sizes" in Shopify's shipping settings but I can't seem to find a way to indicate the conditions for Shopify to choose the correct package size based on order quantity.

What am I missing?

Also, a related question: Orders with quantities over 12 ship in multiple packages. For example, 13 would be split into two shipments of 12 (large box) and 1 (small envelope). Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
161 9 53

Hi Thomas,

Unfortunately Shopify doesn't allow you to setup conditions to each package.  Instead they allow you to select the default package which is what's used in combination with the cart weight to calculate shipping charges.

We've recently launched our shipping app Intuitive Shipping which does offer the functionality you're looking for, and we've helped several users setup exactly what you're looking for with great success.

Intuitive Shipping allows you to assign packages within the shipping method that can be split based on cart quantity, weight or total.  In your case you would want quantity.

You can then define what the maximum quantity is for each package.  The system will then determine the correct number of packages required to fulfill the order.

If you'd like to give the app a try it's free to install and test.  You can find it on the app store here:

https://apps.shopify.com/intuitive-shipping

Let me know if you have any questions.

Co-Founder / CTO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

Since Shopify doesn't directly support this scenario, you will have to use an app to handle this. With the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app, you can achieve exactly what you are looking for and also handle shipping with different carriers. Also, you can set up the packaging based on the product weight as well as dimensions.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes