Disable shipping charge for 2nd location

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 1 2

Hi there

i have inventory in two locations, and I like that Shopify is able to tell me what items in an order are from what warehouse of mine.

However, I don’t want my customers to be paid twice if an order requires two deliveries.

I feel like this is a recent change, as I’ve been running my business for almost 3 years and have never had this problem. I’ve always had the two locations but my shipping fee would never double up for customers.

im looking for a way to disable the second delivery charge that is added when an order contains items from two warehouses. 

im not after a workaround that involves me adding fake inventory numbers to one warehouse, etc. I just want to disable the additional charge.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 1 2

Just thought I'd add some info.

If I remove one of my inventory locations from the Shipping Profile, I think this solves the problem (as far as not double-charging customers). However, it's so unclear as to whether this limits what products are able to be ordered by my customers.

I want customers to be able to order stock regardless of where it comes from, I just don't want them to be charged twice.
However I DO want my order page to show me what items in a customers' order are located in what warehouse.

I suppose I will monitor this and see how customers fare with it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

@modestmounts I think if you remove the inventory from the 2nd location and don't enable the "allow to buy out of stock options flag" then customers won't be able to add the item to the cart. If you check that flag then you don't have the option to limit it to just in-stock item. This multi-shipping feature from shopify is not properly thought through and is creating several problems. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 1 2

This is an accepted solution.

Here's the solution I've found is working for me, as close as I'd like it to. I've also had this confirmed with Shopify Help, who have acknowledged confusion surrounding this issue.

When you have multiple inventory locations there are many aspects that have to be enabled for this to work and allow customers to still purchase from both without being double charged.

• First of all the products need to be available at both locations (Inventory count looks to be irrelevant as Shopify assumes the merchant will transfer stock)
  • Secondly that location needs to be checked to fulfill online orders (Settings > Locations)

My takeaways:

• Enabling shipping from multiple inventory locations enables Double-Charging.
  • Leaving one inventory location as a shipping location eliminates this.
  • This does not impact customers ability to purchase any particular stock.
  • Customers can purchase items from any inventory location. They will only be charged once though.
    It's almost as if Shopify assumes that the merchant will move inventory between locations as they need - that's fine with me!
  • Inventory purchased by customers will be deducted from the inventory location that is enabled as a Shipping Location.

So far this feels like an acceptable workaround. I wish there was an official guide from Shopify on all this, particularly targeting those in my situation.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Thanks @modestmounts! Does it mean that you're duplicating your inventory at both the location and the inventory in Shopify is not reflecting the true picture?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 1 2

Hi there,

Thankfully No. No duplicating necessary.
I have two inventory locations, and both have their own inventory numbers.
I just have one location enabled as a shipping location.

I have automated feeds updating my inventory levels, thus correcting any discrepancies for me too.

The only downside of this solution is when an order comes through, Shopify does not inform me on the order page which items need to be fulfilled from what inventory location. It will simply say all items should be shipped from the shipping location that is enabled.

Upside, customers aren't double charged.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Thanks buddy! I got it working, basically I assigned our sku/variant to all 3 warehouses without touch actual inventory figures at each location and then just activated a single location for shipping. It's working beautifully now. Our app on the checkout updates the actual warehouse and rest of the carrier service details so we're all set. Thanks for pointing in the right direction.  

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 6.50.38 PM.png

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 1 2

No worries. I'm so glad this was able to help someone.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 1 2

Just thought I'd chime in again to say I've encountered another issue with this, unfortunately...

Customers with large carts are getting a "We do not ship to this destination." error, unless both shipping locations are enabled.
Once enabled, the error disappears, however they are charged twice again.

:/

Contacting support.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

@modestmounts what's your store url? can you share the conditions when it fails and I'll test the similar use cases in our stores as well

0 Likes