Disable shipping notifications

Highlighted
11 0 0

I'm wondering if there's a way to disable shopify's automatic shipping notifications.  I found this article pertaining to disabling them in the previous version of Shopify, but I haven't been able to find an option in Shopify 2.  I do all my shipping via ShipStation and have found that when I need to split an order for multiple shipments, the subsequent tracking information is never sent to Shopify, thus accounts don't update and orders won't archive.  Anyway, I'd prefer to just sent my notification through ShipStation, but I'm afraid my customers will be getting double shipping notifications from both Shopify and ShipStation until I find a way to turn Shopify's off.  Help!     

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
959 1 51

Hey Amanda,

That article actually refers to the 'order processing' section of the shipping settings panel from within the admin. This is typically meant for use when a shop wants to put itself kind of on autopilot, where an order is received, the credit card is charged, the item is fulfilled, and the customer is notified (or not notified, depending on the preference checked, of course) in one fell swoop.

When you're fulfilling an order through the admin, you always have the option to disable shipping notifications as per the checkbox on the 'fulfil x line items' button in the pop-out that shows up when you click that button, as per this screenshot:

http://monosnap.com/image/WbbsNk2tsiK8BqRTaTKNGASE6

While I realize this is enabled by default, and it would need to be unchecked in order to not send a shipping notification, this might be what you need to do here. I might also suggest reaching out to Shipstation, as they might have a solution for you here; they've been with us for quite some time, and they might have a good strategy for mitigating this.

You can reach out to them via phone at 1 (512) 485-4282 or via email at info@shipstation.com

Let me know what you think!

Matthew Buttler
Guru
Shopify Inc.

matthew.buttler@shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
11 0 0

Hey Matthew,

Thank you so much!  I ended up changing Shopify's shipping notification template to a "thanks for your business" email that just says the customer's order has shipped and to be on the lookout and that we hope to see them again soon.  No tracking info at all.  That way the ShipStation notification should be the only tracking info they receive and all the order information will be correct, assuming I split the orders correctly.  In the end it seemed to be the easiest workaround.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
959 1 51

Hey Amanda,

That's great to hear. That's probably the best strategy to use in this case, and I'll keep this in mind for similar questions like this in the future.

Talk to you soon!

Matthew Buttler
Guru
Shopify Inc.

matthew.buttler@shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hey Matthew,

We've got the same issue here, we use Shipwire and they have shipping notifications as well. I have deactivated Shipwires, but now there is an issue with the Shopify notification (tracking). I guess Shopify doesn't recognize Purilator and TNT and it attaches their tracking #s to a FedEx URL, which obviously doesn't work. Either you guys need to add the other shippers to resolve the tracking glitch or there needs to be a way to disable the notification.

Regards,

-Brett

0 Likes
Highlighted
Navigator
1137 0 120

I would love to see a flexible config where you can add your carrier and the formula for the link. Then the tracking_URL would be formed by the system, making emails and order status a breeze to setup. I envision there being variables that can be merged just like elsewhere with Liquid.

Generically:

Carrier = MyCarrier

Link formula = www.mycarrier.com?tracking_num=[Line Item Tracking Number from Order]&some_other_data_like_destination_zip_used_for_verification=[shipping zip from order]

http://www.StandoutDesigns.com ::: Solid Wood TV Furniture for Enthusiasts. Made in USA.
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Has there been any change on this?
We also have issue with the shipping notifications. Because we need to include an option for pickup at our brick and mortar store, the fulfillment "shipping notification" is a rather large problem. Even the ability to turn off the notification by default would be helpful. Having a smooth transaction be entirely dependant on remembering to turn something off is not a good plan.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Navigator
1137 0 120

@Marlies,

How about putting logic in your email template to have it serve the two functions. For example:

{% if shipping_method.title contains 'Pickup' %}

// Your Pickup Message, e.g. This email confirms that you picked up the following items from our store today. We appreciate your business. Come again soon. //

{% else %}

// Your standard shipping email message //

{% endif %}

This way your customer has electronic receipt for the pick up and you need not muck around with settings all the time.

http://www.StandoutDesigns.com ::: Solid Wood TV Furniture for Enthusiasts. Made in USA.
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Yes, for some reason they have this function in Settings/Checkout under "After an order has been paid." Just toggle the "Notify customers of their shipment via email." checkbox. Not sure why they would put this here instead of the Notifications page?

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

thanks.  I understand where you are going with this and we may consider it.  as it stands we have a different system for email notifications that we would prefer to use vs. an auto-send.

now we have some options.

0 Likes