Discount Codes and links not working

2 0 0

We are working on a Shopify Store that has been serving discount codes for 2'ish years now, but for some reason they are not working now.

The site is SP2life.com.

The code is js22 and is applicable to Subscribe and Save products (which we have entered as their own SKU and not a product that is discounted already to avoid any issues as the company scales).

The Promotion Link for the SKU is also not working and is throwing a 404 page. That link is:

https://sp2life.com/discount/js22?redirect=%2Fproducts%2Fspirulina-cubes-1

We did have the Bulk Discount Code Generator app installed. But as we have not been using that, i deleted it to see if it was causing an issue (those codes were also not working)... but still no luck.

I have tried clearing the cache of my browser. Tried in different browsers, and on different devices (including iOS), but no luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated Hive-Mind!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
138 14 19

Hey, @scottyIDG!

My name is Lilith, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify. I'd be happy to help you out!

If the discount isn't working and 404 pages are popping up for some products, there could be 2 reasons why this is happening.

404 Page Reason: Product Unpublished on Sales Channels

Here are some steps to make sure the product you linked in your post is published to the Online Store (AKA: Website). In your product settings, you're able to publish the product to select sales channels. This just means that perhaps your product isn't visible on one of them, such as the Online Store.

1. Head over to Products > All Products
  2. In the search bar enter this search term in quotations (you want the exact match) "spirulina-cubes-1"

The reason we're searching for this is that we want to find the exact product that this link is for. Each product has it's own unique URL that you can edit as well. See #4 in this guide here about editing URLs and meta descriptions for your products.

So you should have in the search bar something like this:

alt

You should see only one result for this URL since each product's URL is unique.

Now you can open that product detail page by clicking the product name.

On the top right of that page, you'll be able to see if your product has in fact been made visible to your website.

alt

Make sure that Online Store has been checked off and is saved. Once you've made that product available on that sales channel you can then view the product on the website.

Invalid Discount Reason: Product & Rules

With the discount, the product that we talked about in the part above needs to be visible and available online to use the discount code.

Double-check to see if the correct products are listed as eligible for the discount by going to Discounts and opening the js22 discount that you mentioned.

Check to see what the rules are and which products you've made eligible. Remember that your product choices must be exact. If you want to include multiple products, make sure you have all of those in there.

The second thing you want to check for is to make sure that you know how many times you can use the code. If you've already run a test order for that code and your discount rules are for example one use per customer, you'll not be able to test with the same email address.

Let me know how you do with the information above! I'm happy to answer any questions you think of as you work on your business.

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
2 0 0

Thank you so much for this help @Lilith.

This still hasn't resolved the issue, but did help me figure out a little more of the puzzle...

We run the Recharge App on our account to offer our product as both a single serve and also a monthly subscription. We have successfully run discount codes on just our subscription products in the past (as we were trying to do here). If i remove the subscription product and only have the single order product in my cart this works just fine.

If i change the discount code to work on the single product or on the entire order, than the discount code shareable link also works (which looks different now and does not generate with the specific product in the URL now).

This has lead me down the path that we are now having an issue with the Recharge App and how that is handling the subscription product on it's end.

I will keep digging. Thank you for your help on this Lillith!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
138 14 19

You're welcome, @scottyIDG. If you'd like I can help dig further into this with you after we authenticate and access the account. I would need to securely verify you via email and dig into the admin with you to see what's happening in the admin.

Would you like me to go ahead and get that process started with you?

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes