Why isn't my Shopify discount code working properly?

gclark1
6 0 0

Hi,

I have 2 discount codes running.  

One at 15% for general social media followers, and a second of 25% for prior 2020 customers.  They are separate codes.  For both the discounts can only be used once per customer.

The 25% discount worked for the first 2 customers (both from Canada) using the proper code for the 25% discount.  The third customer (from the USA) could not get the 25% discount to work, and it defaulted to a 15% discount, even though they did not enter the 15% code.  They tried several times and were advised that the 25% discount code was already used, but they had not made a purchase using the 25% discount code.

What could the issue be?  I can't see the country of origin being an issue, but this appears to be the only difference.

Thanks

Replies 6 (6)

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

Hi, @gclark1!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for letting us know about the issues you're seeing with the discount codes.

The country your customer is based should not have an impact on if the discount works or not. I recommend checking the discount code settings to make sure it is set up correctly. You'll want to make sure of the following:

• Have you set up a limit of how many times the discount can be used overall?
  • Have you added a specific group of customers that can use the discount?
  • Are there specific products required for the discount to work?

You can learn more about creating discount codes here: https://bit.ly/3ngeoml.

If the above suggestions don't work, we may need to look at your store and the specific example where you customers were unable to apply the code.

Let me know if you're still stuck after trying the above.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

gclark1
6 0 0
Hi Miles,
Thanks for your suggestions.

The limit on the discount code is one per customer.

There is a specific group of customers selected for the discount code..

All products are eligible for this discount.

I asked another question based on getting more specific information on the community after learning more of the situation under the label ‘discounts'. It appears that an automatic discount that expired on Dec 31/20 is still preventing my customers from entering the new discount code for Jan/21. So I completely deleted the automatic discount code from my discount page, and the expired (and deleted) automatic discount is still interfering with my customers trying to enter the new discount code.

The expired automatic discount was for 15% on orders over $300 and the new discount code for Jan/21 is for 25% off. So when customers try to order more than $300 is where they have the problem with the deleted and expired automatic discount interfering with their new discount code entry.

If you have more suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Geoff
gclark1
6 0 0

Hi Miles,

Thanks for your help.

After talking to the customer further, and seeing customer screenshots, I learned that the issue is this:

I have a expired automatic discount that ended Dec 31/20 for 15% off of all purchases over $300.

I started a new discount CODE on January 1/21 that is 25% off all merchandise and limit of 1 per customer for the month of January/21.  This code is only for customers that purchased in 2020 and is limit 1 per customer.

This week in January, 2021, when the customer tries to use the new discount code on an order over $300, the automatic discount still registers, and prevents her from entering the discount code.  This is because only 1 discount can be used, however, the automatic discount was expired and ended Dec 31/20.  This confused me as the automatic discount was clearly marked as expired on my shopify discount page.

I deleted the automatic discount from my discounts page on shopify in order to see if that worked.  The customer says the automatic discount is still preventing the use of the 25% discount code even though the automatic discount is expired and deleted from my web-site.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

Hey, @gclark1!

Thanks for getting back to me. I think it's going to be best that we chat via email so I'm able to access your account. I'm not sure why this issue is occurring, but if I can see your account and some screenshots, we will be able to get to the bottom of it.

I've sent an email to the email address registered on this account. If you can please reply to that email with the information I requested, I will take a look at the account and we can go from there.

Thanks!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

gclark1
6 0 0

Hi,

I have more information on the situation.

I disabled and deleted a 15% automatic discount for minimum purchase over $300 at the end of December 2020.  I activated a 25% discount code selected customers for the month of January 2021.  A customer replied to me and said a 15% automatic discount is active and not allowing the application of the 25% discount code on orders over $300.    The 25% discount code works if the purchase is under $300.  So as long as the deleted and expired automatic discount amount is not exceeded, the 25% discount works.

I set up a dummy customer account and gave the account a custom 25% discount code.  I made an over for over $300.  Indeed, the deleted and expired 15% automatic discount for minimum purchase was still active on the site, and preventing me from entering the 25% discount code.  If the purchase is below $300, the expired and deleted automatic discount does not kick in and the 25% discount code can be applied.

Myles from the Shopify Social Care team asked me for more information and I send him this information plus screen shots.  He said he would get back to me in 24 hours.  It is now 48 hours and I have not heard back.  I was given a ticket number 21662384.  He said that if my request was urgent I should use the link.  So I am adding this additional context to this link.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Geoff

gclark1
6 0 0

I figured it out.  Thanks Myles.  The automatic minimum purchase discount was showing in both the 'Discount Codes' and 'Automatic Discount' Tabs in the Discount page.  I discontinued and deleted  the minimum purchase discount in the 'Discount Codes' tab, but it was still active in the Automatic Discount tab.  Once I cleared the it from the automatic discounts, the 25% discount code could be applied.

Thanks for your help.