Discount code with free shipping

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi I want to offer friends and family free products to use as promotions but want them to go through the store and use a discount code I've prepared so I can manage time and stock inventory. I can't work out how to make the shipping conditional on the discount code and not on weight or value. Can anyone help with this please? It's urgent (of course, everyone's question always is!). Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 9 12

Hey @Squirrl 

Eunice here from the Shopify team, thanks for posting! This is such a kind gesture and a great question. I'd be happy to help you out.

First of all, you will need to create a discount code, which sounds like you already have. But to cover all bases I'm going to walk you through:

How to create a discount code
Head to the discounts page from your Shopify admin and select 'create a discount'. Choose a code for your discount and then choose the type. To offer 100% off the product you'll need to select 'percentage' as the type, and then enter '100' as the 'value'. You can then go ahead and choose your minimum requirements, usage limit, and the dates you'd like the discount to be active. When this discount code is used the product value will become zero at checkout. 

Now you've got your discount code ready, you'll need to set up a new free shipping rate.

How to create free shipping for the discount code
Head to 'Shipping and delivery' from your Shopify admin settings and select the shipping profile you'd like to add the new rate too. Then, select 'add rate' for your chosen zone:

yfsby-9hcnx

Give the shipping rate a name, and then set the conditions. You'll want to base the rate on the order price and set the maximum price to zero. By doing this the system is going to recognize the total cart value is zero due to the discount code being used. Ta-da!

q4ggz-onot7

It's worth noting that if the customer chooses to actually buy something from your site too, then the free shipping won't show at checkout because the shipping condition for the maximum price has been broken.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions don't hesitate to respond here.

All the best,

Eunice | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi there! We were hoping to create a customer group for customers that buy into a loyalty membership with us. 

The two perks we want to offer is a lower shipping minimum of $50 per order (current min for non-members is $75) and also offer a monthly discount code for "10% off of a $50 order". It seems that we can't stack discount codes. is it possible to lift that restriction for our customers/site? Or, do you have any other solutions you'd recommend? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 9 12

Hi, @wherecollective 

There is currently no way to stack discount codes for the same order, but, there are a couple of known workarounds to help you achieve this:

The first would be to use an app that can stack discounts, such as Discounts Combined. This app would allow a customer to use more than one discount code at checkout. So, you'd create one discount code for the shipping perk, and one discount code for the 10% off perk. With this app, your members will be able to use both codes at the same time.

The second would be to use an advanced shipping editor app, such as Bespoke Shipping. With this app, your members would enter the 10% off code at checkout; the app will recognize the member and discount the shipping automatically if the order is over $50.

Here are some brief details about the two apps to be mindful of:

Discounts Combined app

The Discounts Combined app comes with a 7-day trial and is then $9.95 USD per month thereafter.

There are no extra requirements to use this app.

Bespoke Shipping app

The Bespoke Shipping app comes with a 7-day trial and is then $15.00 USD per month thereafter. 

It's good to note that Carrier Calculated Shipping (CCS) is required to use this app, it comes free with Shopify's Advanced plans or higher, you can also get this for free if you switch to annual billing, or for $20.00 USD per month extra with the Basic and Shopify plan.

Your situation is a fine example of when two discount codes would need to be stacked, thank you for posting! I truly do wish there were restrictions to lift, but it's rather more complex than that; our product engineers would need to design and create such a feature while ensuring that it suits all merchants and their individual business needs. The good news is that there is a current feature request for this, would you like to add your vote?

Eunice | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes