Discounts on Gift Cards

Marketing_Team1
1 0 0

We recently had a situation where a customer used a gift card to pay for his purchase and then applied a discount code running on the side (Friends and Family promotion) to the purchase. The issue here is that the gift card was issued as an influencer credit, aka a gift - taken from our marketing budget.

While we understand that gift cards are a form of payment, and cannot be restricted from being used with other discount codes, we would like to find a way to combat this.

Is there any way to have a discount code exclude certain users- aka customers who are only purchasing with their influencer gift cards?

0 Likes
Ava
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
808 41 130

Hey!

My name is Ava, I’m one of Shopify’s Gurus and I’m here to help :)

This particular situation would be difficult to stop happening, as gift cards are a payment method that same as credit cards are. In this way, you would not really be able to restrict their usage.

There is a workaround I can think of, but it may not work for you. The workaround would depend on if you knew who you were giving the gift cards to. You could add those customers in the admin, then tag every other customer (apart from the gift card customers) with a tag (for example - 'all'). If you created a customer group out of that 'all' tag, 

Then save this group -

You could then create a discount code for that group, meaning any customer who was given a gift card will not be eligible to use this discount code.

This may become difficult if you were running this discount code for some time, as you would need to add new customers to this group too. Which may mean customers must sign up for an account in order for you to add the tag and have them be applicable for the discount.

The best option may be to explain to this customer that there the discount should not have been applied here. You can create a draft order and create a once off product for the amount of the discount, then send that customer an invoice for the correct amount if you wanted to reclaim the funds?

Apart from the workaround I mentioned above, I'm afraid there would be no way to prevent a specific discount from being used with a gift card. I can definitely pass this along to my team as feedback though! As I can see why it would be important to be able to block a certain group of customers from being able to use a discount.

Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help!

Ava

Social Care Guru | support@shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
skooshskin
2 0 0

Hi Ava - Has this feature been implemented yet? We're having the exact same issue, and would not like customers with giftcards to use other discount codes

0 Likes