Disputing a decision of a chargeback

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

How can i dispute a decision of a charge back ? One of our clients issued a chargeback but later cancelled it and submitted proof from his bank that they closed it and resolved the matter in our favor, meaning shopify payments should cancel the chargeback with us as well. Instead Shopify payments came back and said the customers bank sited with the client. Can someone help please ?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
263 27 45

Hi @Schaer123,

Hyde here from Shopify.

Chargebacks are a pain! I completely empathize.

The thing with chargebacks is that Shopify has no control over them. Our role is purely transactional, we are an intermediary in the process.

So if a customer opens a chargeback with their bank, an automated process is put into play. Even if they realize they've made an error and informed their bank, the investigation into their claim may still continue because the bank has set an action in motion.

When a chargeback claim is levelled at you, you do have the option to submit your own evidence within the order itself. If you do not, Shopify does provide whatever information it can on your behalf. Here is some more information on chargebacks for you to go over.

Really with any online store your best recourse is preventative: trying to prevent orders being placed on your store that are potentially fraudulent.

Your best way of doing this is a combination of Shopify's own fraud analysis algorithm, which cross-references billing and shipping addresses with card details and names to try to ascertain the credibility of the buyer, your own investigative efforts by using our Fraud Prevention Tips and using the Fraud Filter app.

I hope that helps answer your question. Please let me know if you have any others!

All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hello Hide, Thanks for your reply. I am sure an error has been made here. I have proof from our client that he actually cancelled the chargeback with his bank. I have proof directly from his bank saying the chargeback was cancelled in our favor. There is no motion anymore. The chargeback has been closed in the clients favor which is a mistake.

There is no reason why we should not get reimbursed, especially since the client has the merchandise. Can you please message me to sales@interior-deluxe.com so i can send you the documents ? The client is also available for a phone call and wants this resolved but we need your help.  Thank you 

0 Likes