Does Shopify charge for currency conversion?

2 0 0

If my bank is in one country, but my shop is in another, and customers check out in that country's currency, does Shopify charge for that conversion? Or what exchange rate does shopify use? 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
398 73 144

Hey, there!

Jason here from Shopify Support.

Great question! Are you going to be using Shopify Payments as your default payment gateway? If so, keep in mind that you need to make sure the bank account that you're using to receive the payout is in the currency you want to get paid in. For example, if your store is located in Canada, but you want to be paid in US dollars (USD), then you need to have a bank account that accepts USD.

If you're using Shopify Payments, the currency exchange rate and a conversion fee are applied when a payment is captured or when a refund is issued. Just in case if you wish to have more detailed information, here's a great document going over selling and getting paid in different currencies.

If you're using a third-party payment gateway, this will be a question you need to discuss with the payment gateway support. As the payment gateway is the one who handles your transactions and offers you the payout.

I hope this information helps, however, should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reply back here and I'd be happy to help out!

All the best,
Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes
1 0 0

How much is the conversion fee? The shopify article does not say.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
398 73 144

Hey, @JessicaHF!

The conversion fee is 1.5% to 2% to multi-currency orders depending on your country. The foreign exchange fees will be deducted from the total payout amount (similar to credit card rates). That being said, these fees are added to the price the customer sees, so you don’t lose any money. Here's a great document going over the conversion rate and fee

Best,

Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes