Does changing payment provider access customer information

Solved
Excursionist
106 0 4
I use to use a manual payment payment method for my small business but now I’m going to be using Shopify payments which I believe is powered by Stripe, but in general when using a new payment provider does it access or have access to my older customer orders. Or does it only know about current orders moving forward. I just don’t want to be sharing any previous customer information with other payment processors
0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Community Manager
Community Manager
2570 185 402

Hi @skytowner11,

Nick here from Shopify. Really good question!

I looked into this for you and spoke to the financial services team about it directly. The financial services team mentioned that when using Shopify Payments, you can still go back and see payouts through it after you have changed to another provider. But regards to sharing customer information with a new payment processor, that definitely wouldn't happen or be available for security and privacy reasons. For example, Shopify Payments only has access to information from orders processed through Shopify Payments and the same would apply for other payment gateways. 

I hope this helps and answers your question.

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
106 0 4
Awesome thanks for confirming this for me and the community. It’s good to know these things. Cheers
1 Like