Does credit card billing address and shipping address need to match for order to process?

Shopify Partner
43 0 0

Hi,

Does customer's credit card billing address and shipping address need to match for order to process?  If not, is there some setting I need to adjust in my control panel so orders with different billing and shipping address don't get cancelled?

I've had a few customers unable to complete purchases with their credit card because the postal code didn't match due to billing and shipping address being different. 

thank you

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2262 146 306

Hi @A_L1,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Fantastic question. Customers should be able to use different billing and shipping addresses should they wish. The default setting for when a customer enters their billing details is the same address for the shipping which you can see in the image below.

06-55-z6pcd-mzk5d

Can you double check if that is ticked in your admin, please? - Store Admin > Settings > Checkout > Order Processing. You can see the help document which Shopify has on this here

To find out any more specifics on the orders you are referring to, I'd need to take a closer look at the orders if you'd like I could send you a direct email to verify your details and take a closer look for you. But it should be no problem at all for the customer to have a different shipping and billing address. My guess is that the postcode does not match the address of where they would like the product to be shipped. Would you have a screenshot of the error message and any more details from the customers about this? If you do, could you share it as the more information on this the better chance we'll have to find out why this might be happening. It could be worth you trying out a test order with different addresses to be sure also. 

Hope this helps and looking forward to hearing from you. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
1 0 0

Is there any way to get an email Alert when shipping and billing address do not match ?

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2262 146 306

Hi @HLG,

The only way this would be possible is if you used an app. I'm thinking a fraud filter app would be your best bet in this instance. Shopify has a Fraud Filter app that you could look into for this and can see here as well as a third party developed app called Signifyd here

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like