Don't want to use personal phone number for support - Stripe

poufpouf
Tourist
13 0 1

Hi,

I'm an individual entrepreneur and I've just signed up for Stripe payements and I don't have a support phone number but I don't want to put my personal one in "public informations" that could appears on bills .

How did you guys deal with that ?

Replies 11 (11)

Aria
Shopify Staff (Retired)
853 34 332

Hey!

I'm Aria, a Social Care guru at Shopify.

You're right in saying, reputable credit card gateways such as Stripe and Shopify Payments require a valid telephone number to set it up. This number will appear on your customer's invoice. If you're not comfortable putting your personal number on there, you would need to get another number somehow.

I understand where you're coming from. I am also a solopreneur with my own Shopify store and I had to provide my phone number for my gateway. I was apprehensive at first but nobody has ever called me. They will know at a glance what the charge is for on their statement because I've got a very distinctive store name that they won't forget. I also have clear contact details on my website. That would be my advice to you - make it really quick and easy for your customers to get in touch using their chosen communication method. Make sure you respond quickly to every message. This way, they won't go looking for a phone number. I would consider the following essential:

• A Contact Us page with an email form (so the customer doesn't need to open their email account to send the email).

• A physical mailing address at the top of the Contact Us page.

• The Facebook Messenger Channel. It's great for up-selling as well. I've found all of my customers have chosen to use Social Media to reach out to me, none of them has emailed me yet or used the mailing address I provided.

• Social Media pages well maintained and linked to your footer (Online Store > Themes > Customize > Theme Settings > Social Media). I would choose two platforms. Depending on what you are selling, Facebook and Instagram are usually a good bet.

If you do all of this, it will help build trust with your customers and make your store look more professional. Customers don't like shopping with an anonymous store.

Does this make sense?

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

poufpouf
Tourist
13 0 1

Thanks a lot for your very comprehensive response ! It sure does make sense and I didn't think from this point of view. Plus, I didn't find any other experience mentioning how they've dealt with it so I appreciate your feedback. I think I'll follow your advice, thanks again for taking some time to share it !

Aria
Shopify Staff (Retired)
853 34 332

No problem at all. Let me know if there is anything else you need.

LucasDvega
Visitor
1 0 0

I am having a problem with my personal phone number showing at the end of reciepts rather than our store number that is on our profile.. what is going on where is the option to turn my info off and the right info on?

Aria
Shopify Staff (Retired)
853 34 332

Hey, @LucasDvega!

Can you please provide a bit more information? Which receipts are you referring to? Do you mean your customers credit card statement, the order confirmation email or something else. 

Which payment gateway are they paying with when this shows up?

Thanks!

AAmeer92
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Aria,

Why aren't you replying to Enveeyar's reply? There is a big point he is putting on. I don't think it is a requirement. Where is the law on that?

enveeyar
Visitor
1 0 1

A friend of mine has online shops in other channels, where Stripe is used.
These portals do not share personal details including phone numbers, though required for account set up.

Mega size online portal businesses such as eBay, do not disclose their contact details.

All communication via automated emails, chat sessions and the like.

eBay has messaging facility and all customer communication is via this facility.

Etsy is the same.

Disclosing phone number is certainly a pain, to manage.

Is there a way, email address could be disclosed in stead of phone number?

Toto1982
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello,

I'm in the same situation. I'm working on launching my first e-commerce business, and as an entrepreneur, only have my personal cell number.

What would you recommend I do? Is it necessary to get a separate phone line for this purpose?

If that's the path I need to take, does anyone have suggestions for an E-sim provider to add a second number to my iPhone?

Thanks.

yoscar15
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey, same just starting e commerce, did you ever figure it out, and how is going for you on your journey

NWS82
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hi, I did a soft launch of my site, Watchdna.com, but haven't yet launched the e.com. But looks like I might have to take a 2nd number with basic plan 😞

relax786
Visitor
1 0 0

hi i want to start shopify,i am worried about what happen in case of defected products ,and customer want to return the product, please guide me the procedure,because in my country customer policies are very strict