Double Shipping Charged

Solved
Highlighted
9 0 0

Thank you for your help Joel. I'm not sure if that can be done when one location controls their own inventory. They are a POD supplier.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
152 9 36

@maxpoweraff you should be able to override the inventory levels from the Shopify admin, even if they are typically managed by an app.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/locations/assigning-inventory-to-locations

With a POD supplier or any dropshipped supplier, you typically don't track inventory on the merchant side of things.  Therefore, you can just add product inventory to the location that was created by the POD supplier to trick Shopify into fulfilling the order from a single location and avoid doubling up on shipping costs.

One thing to keep in mind though is that if a customer does place an order from two locations, for example, an item you personally fulfill and a POD product, you may not get an accurate reflection of the true cost to fulfill that order using the workarounds suggested.  In reality, these products are coming from two completely different places and you will have two shipping fees as a merchant to fulfill that order.  There's the cost for you to ship your item to the customer, and the cost the POD supplier charges you to ship their product.  We see a lot of merchants who underestimate the actual cost of shipping products and we're advocates for charging customers fair and accurate rates at checkout.  Merchants try to compete with Amazon's shipping model, but it's not feasible and is just a race to the bottom.  Amazon loses around $7 billion annually on shipping which they offset through paid memberships (Prime) and their other revenue channels such as cloud hosting.

Co-Founder / CTO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles
0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

I appreciate the response Joel, I've been trying to fix this issue for a week now. I'll just add a large number of inventory from one location. I understand that I will incur a $4 additional cost per product but that would only be if 2 products are ordered which would be a reasonable amount to lose on shipping when in turn doubled shipping at $10.90 domestic would kill most of those conversions completely anyway. Customers are not going to pay that. Thank you again for your response.

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

I think one issue here is that I didn't fully explain the store, it is a POD store with two POD providers. One app using my location, which syncs with there system  and one app using its own location that also syncs with there system. I am unable to add inventory to my location. Even if I put that stock is available at both locations, they are still using each shipping location to calculate the shipping cost because the shirts are still being shipped from two different places regardless of inventory.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Exactly.  I don't think they are understanding that we have 2 separate fulfillment providers for our products.  For instance, I am using one for my t-shirts and apparel and another for my other promotional products like bags, mugs, hats, etc.  So when a customer purchases a t-shirt and a hat, they are getting charged shipping from both providers (locations) on their single order.   I ended up switching to the calculated shipping method and it appears to be much more affordable for my customers.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0
It's a good idea to use calculated shipping but I don't see it as
feasible. I need to know what my shipping costs are exactly for running
sales etc.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

I have to agree with you on this @maxpoweraff 

We are experiencing the same issues with fulfillment from multiple locations.

Whilst I appreciate that the e-commerce company will incur additional costs, for us, it is unfair to ask customers to pay double shipping as a result of this. They will come to our site to purchase products from one vendor using multiple fulfillment locations.

The work-around suggested will also mean there will be no automated email notification to the fulfillment locations so would mean we can't partially fulfil an order.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

I am just trying to open my new store and am having the same issue.  The suggestion from the help desk was to only use one app to fulfill all my orders.  This would make my store very bland and have few products.  I thought the whole point was to have many options.   Has anyone actually figured out how to manage this??

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm having same issue.  I agree with this, " it is unfair to ask customers to pay double shipping as a result of this. They will come to our site to purchase products from one vendor using multiple fulfillment locations."

Shopify should have an override function/setting that it you offer a flat rate shipping then it should override any other shipping rules settings and charge the customer only the flat rate even if being shipped from multiple locations.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

yes, the suggestion I got from the help desk was to have only 1 app.  This is too limiting, so I am going to up my product rates a bit and offer free shipping.  I can't think of any other solution.  Apparently they are aware of the issue and working on it.  Hopefully a solution will be forthcoming soon!!

Good luck, let me know if you come up with another solution!!

1 Like