Double charging to process refund

Highlighted
1 0 0

I had someone come to my store and make two fraudulent purchases. Shopify deposits the sale minus the fee to your account Once the refund was processed Shopify then takes  the sale plus the fee again.  How is this not paying the fee twice for the same return?

.  I have called and called and they are saying I only paid the fee once how? Has anyone had this issue with a return? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
513 34 73

Hi, @hairhabit.

Sophia here from Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community!

I know that handling fraudulent orders can be a stressful experience, and I would be happy to take a look at the account with you to clarify what happened with your payouts around those charges. It sounds like you're using Shopify Payments, is that correct?

In order to review the charges, I'll need to verify your account via email and respond to you privately to keep your information secure. However, there are some things we can review here in the Shopify Community that might be helpful to you and others.

Fraud analysis

If an order has been detected as high-risk by Shopify's fraud analysis, it can be canceled and refunded. When you cancel and refund an order where payment was captured, the funds are returned to the payment method the customer used at checkout. Depending on the payment gateway, there may be a processing fee for a refund. Shopify Payments does not charge an additional fee for refunds, though the original credit card processing fee is not returned.

Chargebacks and inquiries

If the cardholder issued a chargeback, there is a processing fee involved that is only returned to you if you win the chargeback. In the case of a chargeback, it's important to contact the customer and ask them to cancel the chargeback rather than sending a refund, because the customer's bank will have already taken the disputed amount. If there is an inquiry rather than a chargeback, the process is a little bit different in that the customer's bank does not take the funds from you right away. You can issue a full refund to resolve an inquiry.

Can you confirm whether the order was flagged as high-risk and whether there was a chargeback or inquiry involved? If you still need someone to take a look at the charges with you, please let me know and I'll send you an email to verify the account. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes