EMV Card Reader Update Problems

Highlighted
3 0 0

I am on my 2nd EMV reader now and it still doesn't update. I couldn't even get past the update process. For my first reader, I went through tier 1 and 2 support to have it troubleshooted. We tried both software rest and factory reset, with either plugged in or without plugging in. The update could never get beyond step 3.

I have the latest IOS, the latest POS version

Shopify did not want to offer a free replacement so I had to send back my first one and  I paid for a brand new one ( my current defunct one) as I needed it urgently. I am still waiting on my refund for the first reader. This whole dilemna has taken 3 weeks and I have yet to have a working EMV reader.

Really terrible experience so far. They are escalating my 2nd emv reader to Tier 2 support, ironically I've been through this entire process (tier 1 then 2) with my first reader. I really want this to work but man, this whole experience has been tormenting to say the least. The worst part is the slow turn arounds, slow email replies and extremely slow shipping times.

Just be wary folks if you're considering the EMV reader. It's buggy to say the least and I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
12 0 3

Hi Dominic! Sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with your card reader.

As general troubleshooting, I'd suggest:

1. Unpair the EMV card reader from your device.
  2. Delete the POS app from the device and restart.
  3. Reinstall the POS app from the App Store.
  4. Pair the EMV card reader with your device.
  5. Check to see that the card reader is detected in the POS app.

This will usually resolve any issues with the card reader itself.

Let us know how it turns out!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I had the same issue. The iphone app was able to update my firmware while the POS app did not work. 

Other notes, the reader must be at least 50% charged to update and it will update will on the charger. I hope this helps anyone having this issue. 

George

0 Likes