Error 10486 is haunting me.

1 0 0
I’m gonna start this post by giving you some insight.

Right now, about 40/50% of my abandoned checkouts are caused by this PayPal error, 10486. This is a lot of lost orders and money.

I found this very strange, as you can imagine, and I started googling about it, and there’s not a clear explanation about it or about fixing it, neither on Shopify or on other websites.

Now I’m gonna tell you why I know so far, and what I don’t. I know this is an error caused by PayPal Express Checkout and that it’s caused in the Client side. I’m not sure why it’s caused, PayPal website says it’s caused because the customer card was declined, or some other card/money issue, but it just seems too weird to me that there’s that many declined cards.

After some research, I think this is a shared issue, between PayPal and Shopify. It’s both platforms fault in some way.

First, I saw a considerable amount of people on PayPal Support claiming to have this error while their cards were perfectly fine, so it is an inconsistent error with their payment processing system, which is PayPal’s fault.

Shopify’s fault comes after this, because I realized the main reason for these failed payments, caused by PayPal’s error, causing abandoned checkouts is the link redirect.

What do I mean by this? Normally, a failed payment with a card, through PayPal, would redirect you to choose another payment method, within your PayPal account. And usually they choose another card or bank account and the payment goes through.

But that’s not what Shopify does. Shopify redirects you to the Shopify payment page with an error, asking people to try again. And people do try again, 2 or 3 times, but leave after getting the same error over and over again.

So, after this research I tried to find some way to edit the code and change the link redirect, and PayPal even has a specialized page which teaches you do this within your html code. The problem is, I didn’t find any PayPal code in the Shopify’s theme code. Of course, I can have have just missed it, I don’t understand much of html or css, but I don’t think so.

So what am I looking for?
I would like people more expert than me to tell me if this is normal and to give me some extra insight about this matter. And of course, if possible, a way to fix it.

I’m not a total dummie with programming, I’m half-way through a computer science degree, so you can help me in that field if you know a fix for this.

I know it’s a long post, but this is making me lose a lot of potentially customers, so I couldn't just ignore it without making sure I did everything I could to try to fix it.

Thanks to anyone who read all the way through.

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi there! Did anyone ever come back to you on this? And how did you solve this.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
109 17 24

Hi, @C3real and @zaminerals.

Sophia here from Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community!

PayPal provides information about each of their error codes here in the API Error Codes developer document. Error 10486 in particular doesn't have much detailed information behind it, though it does appear to be an error caused on the customer's end:

09-50-9hd64-6605x

This error code typically indicates that the customer needs to use an alternate payment method. However, if either of you have examples of recent abandoned checkouts with this error code, please let me know and I'll send you each a private email to gather the details. That way, I can check in with our Technical Support team to see if they have any additional advice in those specific cases. Thank you so much!

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes