Error with PayPal Set-up

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Hello,

I have recently gotten my first sale with PayPal, and it seems that I have made a bit of a mistake. When I registered, I accidently typed the account id email as "mandarigmastores@gmail.com," where it should have been "mandirigmastores@gmail.com." Notice that the a after the d should be an i. I realize now that this was the reason that the payments had not been appearing on my PayPal account. Is there anyway for me to recover these funds?

Checking into the details of the order, it was as follows:

Under Payment Info, in Sellerdetails and Paypalaccountid, I had the misspelled email. How can I direct the payment to my actual account? If this is not a viable method, would refunding my customer's entire purchase give them back their money? Or would I have to set up an entire PayPal account with the misspelled email in order to access the money?

Anything helps!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
259 3 60

Hi, there! 

Lisa here from the Social Care Team at Shopify. 

If you call Paypal and let them know exactly what has happened, they are the only ones who could potentially re-direct the Payment to your actual Paypal account. Otherwise, you could refund the order and ask the customer to repurchase once you've updated your account or as you suggested try to create a Paypal account with the incorrect email to claim these funds. However, I'm hopeful that getting in touch with Paypal they can help you get the funds into the correct account after some security measures.

Next, go to Settings > Payment Providers > Press 'Edit' then 'Deactivate' under you Paypal Section. You can update the email address associated with the account from mandarigmastores@gmail.com to mandirigmastores@gmail.com, press Save. Moving forward this will allow you to accept payments into the correct Paypal account. 

Best of luck with Paypal re-routing the funds. Please let Shopify know if you need anything else from our end to help with this!

- Lisa 

Lisa | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Where do I go in the settings to change the email?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Also, will refunding the order automatically return their funds even if I cannot access the funds myself?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
259 3 60

Hi, again!

To access your Paypal email you go to Settings > Payment Providers: 

Then you press Deactivate. 

After this, you will have the chance to reactivate by pressing 'Activate' selecting 'Paypal Express Checkout', then following the prompts from Paypal to enter your correct address in.

Yes, you can refund the order via your Shopify admin, which will be processed directly through Paypal's Gateway. Scroll down on the order to the "Refund" button. Press this and enter the amount you wish to send back to the customer.

Hope this helps! 

- Lisa 

Lisa | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes