Export Orders by Status

Highlighted
25 0 0

Learning about Shopify and really close to coming on board. 

1) We have a large warehouse space with some distances involved. It would be very helpful to be able to print a list of orders to process in a given day to take a cart out and pull products in bulk. The order export csv allows export by date but I'd prefer export by status or, even better, export by tag. Will the search function in order export do this?

2) It would be very helpful to be able to sort that CSV file by warehouse shelf. Can "Location" or some other product identifier be used to denote a place within the warehouse? It would save a huge amount of walking around. Yuge amount! That location would need to be associated with the product and would need to be changed from time to time.

0 Likes
Highlighted
25 0 0

Seems like maybe Location isn't going to be a great choice but I'd still like to know. Could Vendor be used to denote warehouse shelf?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2471 128 403

really close to coming on board. 

If you need to flesh this out in better detail, email me(address in signature) i offer a discovery service for roadmapping|sensemaking these issues to minimize migration risk.

Will the search function in order export do this?

Whatever the current filter applied in /admin/orders is ,that is also used for the "page" export. You can "select" them all, then export selected orders. 

https://help.shopify.com/manual/orders/export-orders

For the rest of the questioning there is no item-location data native to shopify, you have to customize it to fit your business model at that point.

Desktop side: in excel or ms-access a with a reference(database) of where products are combined with the order exports CSV sku gives you what you need.

So how to store that data, how to associate that data, how to retrieve that data.

Non-app: A data schema , either via metafields,product tags, or some other scheme, then pass that through to orders via something like notes.

Then just export by date range , in the CSV hide unwanted columns(or create calculated colums in excel) leaving note,or note-attributes,etc columns.

App-wise: you'll probably want something custom ,though a service like zapier might be able to handle the autotagging of urls. This is typically handled through webhooks.

Polished app wise:  all the clicks filters,etc are handled and just sent to email or mobile device, or directly to printer.

Seems like maybe Location isn't going to be a great choice but I'd still like to know.

Location is centered around the POS use case for brickandmortar store locations, not picking bins.

Could Vendor be used to denote warehouse shelf?

This is fragile don't do this. Yes you can put whatever string you want in a products vendor data. You could put multiple pieces of data in there, but everywhere in your theme that uses vendor would have be setup to show the proper peice of that data. 

But then where do you put the actual name of the multiple manufacturers or vendors should you ever want to show them, and any changes to that data has to be reflected in the theme as well.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
25 0 0

Paul, Thank you for the offer, i will consider it. I've seen some of your other posts and can tell you know what you're doing!

I'm really hoping to avoid anything custom. I have spent years with open source platforms x-cart, oscommerce, zen cart and now Magento CE. Many years. I'm tired of complications, updates, modifications, security changes that break add-ons....you know. I just want to spend more time on making my products and marketing them. I spend too much now on programming. Magento has cost us 12K since inception. Pretty steep for a free platform. I have spent years building up all sorts of convoluted add-ons, hacks, apps, etc. Third party this and that. I just want simple and functional. 

I don't plan to show the vendor information to anyone, ever, because we make the products right here. We're just talking about a 2 digit number. What do you mean by "fragile"? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2471 128 403

I'm really hoping to avoid anything custom.  

Not to pick on you, but you need to examine that attitude and seperate the personal from the business. If the business wasn't custom anyone could do it. And getting it to the point where anyone could do it (say for franchising) means embracing customizations for the sake of systemization and consistent repeatability.

I'm tired of complications, updates, modifications, security changes that break add-ons....you know.

I understand,  risk is a serious business concern and it never goes away and most conversations about it become philosophical really fast*.

to paraphrase a great quote on wrongness by George e.p. box:

"There is no riskless model, the practical question is how much risk does there have to be to not be worth it."

Not exactly comfort food but it's a great way to maintain sanity and figure out the right approach to changes that will happen. Either in magento,shopify, or any other ecomm forums it is a cliche that something changes and people cry it's broken thier business because thier model required the platform but they don't see the inherit issue. Generally fixed by keeping as much of the business platform agnostic as possible.

I just want to spend more time on making my products and marketing them. I spend too much now on programming.

Again hard advice. Examine that frustration and what needs to be done to fix it now and forever. Because your right every hour you spend tinkering with code might be an hour wasted business wise per the knowledge you possess.

Generally this is a case of not building business models until features are coded then having to fix things that were omitted creating a cycle of perma-annoyance.

If you don't want to be a programmer delegate to programmer.

The trap of coding is often having to learn syntax AND concepts.

Sure you could be getting a sense of self-fulfilment coding as a hobby  but is that healthy for the business? Learning to code at the same time as wearing the business-mgmt hat divides focus and is very innefficient because context switching is expensive($$$|time) for us humans.

Merchants can be much better off working on the skill of articulating what an outcome should be based on business requirements than coding nuances. aka document business models and SOPs.

A perspective on spending time&money, Do you approach marketing the same way when every $1 makes $3? When marketing makes money it's an investment but somehow because no one sees code it's a burden? While yes not every piece of code has a direct correlation to ROI. Treating code as a chore creates needless resentment. Generally the hidden pain is not having insight(data) into how much time is actually spent coding internally vs profit from changes, regardless of expense, typically solved by a/b testing.

Magento has cost us 12K since inception. Pretty steep for a free platform. I have spent years building up all sorts of convoluted add-ons, hacks, apps, etc. Third party this and that.

Without internal details(like duration,mthly,etc) i cannot even begin to tell if that's amazing or disastrous. Shopify is a generalized platform, there are limitations, feature tradeoffs. Some functionality only apps provide because 240,000+ stores don't all need the same kitchen sink.

I just want simple and functional. 

Delegate, if your just selling something like t-shirts i could teach you everything you need to know about shopify in 30 minutes because that's "simple". If you have a faceted business that can't be explained on a napkin there is no "simple" out of the box**. Strategy wise the only simple that should be cared about is customers saying buying from you is simple. "Simple" on the business side is generally automation , things not being simple is lack of how to automate.

Shopify has functionality out the wazoo and with work the functions you need can be simplified. Your not buying a car off the lot, your going to the manufacturer AND the suppliers to build a 1 of a kind 1-off custom model with tailored seat. Again build models -> delegate.

I don't plan to show the vendor information to anyone, ever, because we make the products right here. We're just talking about a 2 digit number. What do you mean by "fragile"? 

It's "fragile" because it's not future-proof ,despite saying ',ever,' . Should this change for whatever reason the universe brings about it has to be undone wherever it was "hacked" to make use of this misuse. There's also things like SEO,scrapers etc that use that information. So doable but but automatic future risk. 

*unless you can afford an SLA in which case you should know even shopify-plus doesn't provide customs ones as far as i know.

**sans a whiteglove mgmt service $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
25 0 0

Yes, I understand that it's an investment. It's my only storefront and it must be clean, appealing and functional. Customers will walk right back out the front door if it isn't. It must work smoothly every time. It must also work well for me every time. 

2 years. 8K to get up and running and another 4.5K to finish fixing little crap and ongoing security updates that must all be vetted with the add-ons. Next it might be a new version of PHP breaks the store, a third party stops supporting my needed app, an API needs to be updated or I don't get shipping quotes... So many little buggery things. I am clearly gun-shy of add-ons; whether self-maintained or contracted through my programmer. He's a good guy and he's competent, but it adds up.

So, I can do plenty fairly quickly with spreadsheets on my desktop. I can generate the list if i can pull the data. It really is a very simple business. We are well respected and popular but I know we're losing business in our jalopy of a store and I'm tired of bending over backwards to change a lightbulb. Weary, really. I feel the time is right for a hosted solution. I don't have a lot of special needs and I want to see if these last little details can function the way I need. Your input is appreciated! I will try using the vendor as a warehouse shelf. I don't think, in our case, it will harm SEO. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
36 0 0

Interesting discussion. so long but it is really a helpful information. Thanks.

Shopify migration extension - http://litextension.com/shopify-migration.html
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
32 0 3

So, here I am 4 years later and a happy Shopify customer still! I am Dan94. I have worked out a lot of little bits before using the platform and did end up using the Vendor tag as our warehouse bin system. It works and we're able to export and pivot tables to generate pick lists. However, the Vendor tag is associated with the order at the time of the order. If our picking bin changes before the order is picked, everything gets complicated in the warehouse. 

Here's why: we run a plant nursery and folks order up to 6 months in advance. We also have multiple bins (greenhouse benches) and we have to move products from time to time. The order from December requested for May shipping might have several incorrect bins; making picking challenging. 

Otherwise, pretty well set and happy to have chosen Shopify.

0 Likes