FEDEX GROUND "Clearance Entry Fees"

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi there,

We have a pretty big problem with FEDEX ground shipment to USA from CANADA. The problem is that Shopify doesn't send the price of the items sold to FEDEX so the "Clearance Entry Fees" are not added to the price the customer is beeing given when paying is order on our shopify store.

It is a big concern because we end up with fees like $32 for orders over $200 so you bet it is sometime taking away all of our margin there.

I would like to emphasis on the fact that (in our case) we are paying $100/monthly more than PRO plan to get the so called "Real-time carrier shipping". $100 monthly and we can't count on Shopify to pass the order value to FEDEX. So what is the point exactly of paying this $100 monthly?

To the community: Have you found any way to bypass this problem? Do you have a shipping app to suggest?

- Using FEDEX express would be one idea but it's way too expensive for some big items like 3D printer.

- Adding $32 to every shipment to USA will make people pay approx $70 shipping fees for a very small package of $10 value, just crossing the border from Montreal to New-York. Not a nice way to fix this either...

I don't think Shopify will soon fix this as I have found a post regading this dated of 2013... 

https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/payments-shipping-fulfilment/t/fedex-real-time-rates-differ-from-fed...

I hope someone has a good suggestion...

Shopify I think it's time you look into this.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
498 1 57

Hi François,

My name is Anne, on the Guru team. Thanks so much for getting in touch with us here on the forums!

I completely feel for you in your prediciment! Shopify are actually looking into this for a long time and we do have a feature request in with out developers about this, which I have added this post to.

• The available options (which are not as elegant as I would like for you) are to add a markup  in your US shipping zone for all orders, that will hopefully compensate for this fee.
  • Another option is to use a custom shipping service like Bespoke shipping who can create custom shipping rules for your business, and you can reach out from directly from the app store by clicking Get support - https://apps.shopify.com/custom-shipping-rates

If you feel that you are on a higher tiered plan just for shipping rates, and decide to move to an app that doesn't need this feature you'll be able to revert to a lower priced plan from your admin really easily :)

I hope this helps and if you need anything else at all please let me know!

Warm regards,

Anne

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hello Anne,

Thank you for your reply you are very kind.

One of the thing that is tricky with Shopify is that the features requests are private so it's almost impossible to plan and make strategic decision based on that. We can't tell if it's 1st in list or #643. Moreover, we can't feel how often it is downgraded to a lower rank or at the oposite raising step in the priority list.

For example, debit card in Canada, no one can tell if it's for next month or maybe in 2 years, same for internationalisation or UberRUSH in Montreal.

It's very hard then to plan and take strategic decision.

Anyway, I will look into Bespoke shipping features. Thanks to you for the suggestion !

Regards,

François

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

Hello @François_Lahey,

Since Shopify does not pass customs value to the FedEx servers, the rates returned from FedEx through the API are lower.

You can use the FedEx Rates, Labels and Tracking app to solve this problem. 

With the app, you can either pass the exact product cost as the customs value or you can set a fixed customs value for all your orders. The app also allows you to set the customs duty payment as "Sender" or the "Recipient".

Happened to see a similar discussion: 

https://community.shopify.com/c/Payments-Shipping-Fulfillment/FedEx-Real-Time-Rates-Differ-from-FedE...

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

Francois, have you tried FedEx apps that do the same? I am from the Multi Carrier Shipping label app which sends the correct customs value to the FedEx API thereby correctly calculating the shipping cost. 

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes