Failed to capture, authorization has expired

Highlighted
2 0 0

What is this? i have this problem now since i dont always capture payments just right away.

WHat is my next step for orders i have sent out but cant capture anymore? 

is it possible to capture automaticaly ? 

thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
9872 100 1710

All gateways have a window in which you're able to capture the funds. That's commonly known as the authorisation period, or authorisation window. It will differ from gateway to gateway (and can differ merchant to merchant) but the average will be 7 days. Some allow up to 30.

It's important that you capture the funds within the window of time otherwise you won't be able to later. If you have orders that are no longer in the authorisation period you can NOT capture those funds. You'd likely want to cancel that order and kindly ask the customer to purchase again. Consider making a draft order in that case and incentivise with a small discount.

You can set up manual or auto captures in the Admin:
https://help.shopify.com/manual/payments/payment-authorization#set-up-manual-capture-of-credit-card-...

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

So where is the money in this case?  returned to customer or paypals pockets? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

The money never actually left the customer's pocket since the transaction was only authorized. Also note that Paypal only guarantees authorization for 72 hours. Past that point, payment could still fail even though the authorization is still valid.

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 1

Hello.

I have added a pre-order App on my store and the products that I am pre-selling will only be available in about 1 1/2 months. This being said, what about if I duplicate an order instead of a draft order? Will the duplicated order stay in the customer account and will the authorize/capture process begin on the day that the duplicated order is created. I am trying to avoid having to ask customers to do extra steps and keep my sales.

As of today, the orders get automatically authorized but it`s quite clear that I will not be able to capture the payment in 1 1/2 month.

Thanks

Vickie

1 Like