FedEx Ground versus FedEx Home Delivery... Why Shopify?

Highlighted
Tourist
16 0 2

Why Shopify? Why?

FedEx Ground is a completely different service than FedEx Home Delivery. Why are these services grouped together as one service? Ground delivers to Commercial addresses and Home Delivery delivers to Residential addresses. On that note; these "different" services are billed "differently" too. 

There is no way to separate them as a user. There is no way to ask the customer if they are shipping to a Residential address or a Commercial/Business address. As a result, the FedEx rate generated is the GROUND rate. "Ground" excludes the Residential Surcharge, as it is a Commercial "ground" service. Due to this, I am forced to lose money for every order placed that selects this "Ground Home Delivery" service.

THE WORK AROUND & ANSWER OFFERED BY SHOPIFY;

(1) Modify the rate of service by adding in the missing residential surcharge once on the shipping section of the admin (within the FedEx service screen).

This sounds like a decent "work around", but the downfall is that now whatever is added to modify the rate, the figure is spread across ALL services. If we were able to breakdown each service offered and adjust it individually, this may be a decent fix.

(2) The service rate will adjust in the shopping cart based on whether or not the customer fills in the "Company name" box or not. If the Company Name box is filled in, the rate will be reflective of the GROUND service. If the Company Name box is left blank, the rate will be reflective of the HOME DELIVERY service. 

I do not find this to be a viable way to manage a service(s) that are meant to be treated separately from the beginning (recognized by FedEx). As a consumer myself (and putting on others' shoes), I think that sometimes customers think it is cool to make up their own Company Name to enter into the box. Sometimes people think they even need to fill the box out as part of the form submission. It doesn't make too much sense to use this as the basis for generating a rate that should already be separated because the chances are that we will lose money more times than not. MOST shopping carts afford the admin to place a box within the shipping page to ask whether or not the address provided is a business. This option is not fail-safe either, but it will clearly denote whether or not you are submitting an address applicable to the services offered. To have the entire process hinging on a company name in a field (whether it is filled in or blank) seems a bit thrown together. 

(3) Offer Flat rate shipping for your Customers.

We all know that there are consumers out there who will abandon carts because they think shipping is too high (In their heads, $8.11 is a deal breaker to $7.98). Flat rate shipping merely sweeps the elementary issues under the rug. Flat rate shipping will either screw over one type of Customer or relieve the associated costs for another. If there is a $3 gap in pricing from Zone 1 to Zone 8, I will have to decide which Customer I would like to pay $3 more than what they are used to. This "quick fix" does not solve the problems for those of us who have excellent discounted rates from our Private Carriers, and who would like to pass on the savings to our Customers. We should have the option of giving EVERYONE the lowest rate possible, if available to them by way of our (company) pricing.

(4) Gain Access to the Enterprise API and create the rules/App that you are interested in utilizing. This will allow you to "potentially" create what you are looking for. The fee to access this API is $1,000 per month.

Are we really required to explore the idea of paying an additional $1,000 per month, so that we can create a rule to allow the Shopify cart to recognize that FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery services are two separate services? These services already exist through FedEx, and are already separate. Shopify is apparently the only entity who does not seem to recognize this. Why should we have to pay $1,000 per month to fix an issue that should have already been considered by Shopify? Grouping these two services together is as crazy as grouping FedEx Ground and FedEx Overnight together. That would never happen, right? Why? Because they are two different services that are priced accordingly. This is just as true for FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery. Two separate services billed at two separate rates. 

At the end of the day, FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery are considered two separate services offered by FedEx. Although the transit time is relatively the same (Home Delivery does not operate on Monday's, but DOES operate on Saturdays, as apposed to Ground) there is DEFINITELY a difference in cost between the two services. 

Why are these two services grouped together? We shouldn't have to settle with elementary "hacks" or tricks because nobody has figured this out just yet. 

P.S.- Where is the FedEx SmartPost option? This service has been around for years. To say that Shopify is always updating these services and adding the NEW ones (and that SmartPost must be a NEW feature that is likely going to be added soon) seems a bit odd. 

A bit blunt. Just frustrating. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
16 0 2

Still awaiting response... Meanwhile, Fedex IT/DEV has stuck by their API, assuring us that Shopify is doing something weird. 

It's now a game of 'he said/she said'.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
14 0 1

Hi Ryan,

I may be able to refer you to a solution that would fit your need. Send a quick email with your contact info to vastraly@gmail.com

Vastra Ly

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
16 0 2
I appreciate your comment Vastra, but I am waiting to hear back from Shopify (this subject is often overlooked). We are very familiar with our options (bandaid/hacks), but with all due respect, there are no 3rd party workarounds that can fix these issues. It is an internal Shopify 'error' that has yet to be given proper attention.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

Hello Ryan,

May I know whether the issue is solved or not?

If not, I have the answer to this question. Although you have raised this query a while ago, I'm answering this now as I cannot see any response for this query.

As you have mentioned, FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery are completely different services which you can enable/disable dedicatedly using FedEx Rates, Labels and Tracking app. 

When your customer goes to the checkout page and gives an address, the FedEx Rates, Labels and Tracking app sends this information to FedEx and confirms whether the address is commercial or a residential address. Based on the response from FedEx, the rates are displayed. 

• If the address is commercial/business, the FedEx Ground will be displayed
  • If it is a residential address, FedEx Home Delivery will be displayed

Regarding the FedEx SmartPost, the app also supports FedEx SmartPost service given that your FedEx Account is eligible for SmartPost.

Hope this helps!

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

I have the same problem.  It would be great to have a solution to this issue.

SNT
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

Hello @Shyamala_Nathan,

Hope you have seen the reply which I have given to this query. The FedEx Rates, Labels and Tracking App will be able to solve this issue. 

FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery are completely different services which you can enable/disable dedicatedly using FedEx Rates, Labels and Tracking app. 

When your customer goes to the checkout page and gives an address, the FedEx Rates, Labels and Tracking app sends this information to FedEx and confirms whether the address is commercial or a residential address. Based on the response from FedEx, the rates are displayed. 

• If the address is commercial/business, the FedEx Ground will be displayed
  • If it is a residential address, FedEx Home Delivery will be displayed

The app also supports FedEx SmartPost service given that your FedEx Account is eligible for SmartPost.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

I would like to contribute in this discussion as I may have something to add in here. FedEx API by default segregates the address as 'Residential' or 'Commercial'. This happens if you have enable 'Address Validation' in your FedEx account. Once this is done, FedEx will characterise the address and based on that, a solution should be able to charge residential or commercial rates and show Ground or Ground Home delivery for it. So, if you are using your own account for rates, it is better to approach the FedEx team, get it enabled and then use an app that segregates the service based on the address validation.

Product Owner @ PluginHive
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
57 0 2

Yes, the API segregates the addresses into residential/commercial.

A 1 second decrease in load speed can increase conversions by 1% – 7%. Get your store optimized by a Shopify expert
0 Likes